• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Trimming ACM (Polymetal)

lkt1954

I have a 4' x 8' of acm or polymetal with a full print on it that needs one of the 8' sides trimmed 1/4" off it. The place I use with a shear says they cannot make a cut any narrower than 1". How can I trim the panel and not ruin the print?

Thanks
Larry

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Is it a vinyl print mounted on the substrate or flatbed printed directly ??

J Hill Designs

table saw with a great blade, a router with a flushcut bit + straightedge, possible with a utility knife (but would be tough @ only 1/4"), multiple passes on a jointer,

jfiscus

Rap Master
Table saw will do it with steady hands. A straight edge and clamps with a few sharp razor blades will do it also.
it also depends on how thick your polymetal is...

lkt1954

Yes it is a vinyl print mounted to the substrate. Maybe I will get a good carpet knife and a straight edge and go to trimming.

Thanks
Larry

Gino

Premium Subscriber
You'll probably tear your vinyl doing it this way. You really should use a saw or some mechanical cutting device so you don't shred the print edge.

Mosh

I am being serious, cut it with a knife. score thought it a bunch of times. I have done this when cutting curved tops in signs, so I am sure a straight line would be simple. I use a fine file to clean it up when you are done.

CanuckSigns

handheld router with a flushcut bit ( take the bearing off for this)

use a piece of wood for a fence, shouldn't take longer than 5 minutes.

stickerman12

I have use a straight edge clamped to the sign and cut with a handheld circular saw. Better protect your print with masking tape or vinyl backing.

phototec

I have used a straightedge clamped to the edge of the substrate, and used utility knife to score both sides (top & bottom) and then snap off the edge strip, doing this to trim 1/2" from the edge, but nothing smaller.

I think 1/4" is to small for this method, so I would use a small laminate trimming router with a down spiral cutting bit (see link) and follow a straight edge clamped to the substrate, and as others have said, use 2" wide Blue painters tape to cover and protect the graphics both under the straight edge and the router base.

http://www.amazon.com/Spiral-Sinlge-Aluminum-Cutting-Router/dp/B000KZWFD0

:rock-n-roll:

S'N'S

I cut 1/4" off sheets all the time on my guillotine, maybe try someone else who has one.(as long as the blade straight and sharp it should cut fine)

lkt1954

Thanks you'll. I think I will practice on a scrap piece with the knife and have my son-in-law try a router (if he screws up even more reason not to like him..lol)

Thanks
Larry