• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Trimming Graphics on Vehicle...

x2chris7x

We will be applying a graphic to the recessed panels as shown in the attachment... My question is: How would you go about trimming the graphic to the panel shape? First thought was a tape line, razor knife, and steady hand. We've also heard about knifeless tape, but have never seen it in person or used it. Just wondering how others would approach this job...

Attachments

• Welding Supply Van.jpg
    Welding Supply Van.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 157

phototec

I found that WrapCut tape is just as good as the named brand Knifeless Tech tape for 1/3rd less cost, and you get a 200ft roll not the 164ft roll from KT.

Both cutting tapes only work as good as the users ability to do the job right and you need to follow the manufactures instructions exactly to get good results, if you deviate you will get ragged cuts.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/wrapcut-tap...ion-/331344951678?hash=item4d25b2b97e&vxp=mtr

[video=youtube;8r8RcENU-iM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8r8RcENU-iM[/video]

eahicks

Magna Cum Laude - School of Hard Knocks
I would design my file with a contour cut of the exact shape of the inset area, with maybe 1/8" gap all around. You have to create a template first, but saves all the cutting mistakes that can happen, to the paint as well as the print. In fact you can usually use the PVO template (better measure everything accurately first!)

idsignsil

Knifeless tape all the way. Get the green backed stuff that is in the video that Phototec posted. There is also a version out there with red backing, but I have found that the green backed is much easier to work with. I say this having used it for some time now. Practice a little first to get to know how the tape and filament like to work.

x2chris7x

I would design my file with a contour cut of the exact shape of the inset area, with maybe 1/8" gap all around. You have to create a template first, but saves all the cutting mistakes that can happen, to the paint as well as the print. In fact you can usually use the PVO template (better measure everything accurately first!)

This was a thought... How would you accurately re-create the exact shape of the inset? When taking a photo the image will be distorted due to the curve of the lens... Maybe measuring the **** out of it... but is there really a way to be perfect??

Yes, trace with chalk and big sheet of paper. Use a plan scanner to scan the file. Bring it in at size and then just trace the outside line in illy. Done.

eahicks

Magna Cum Laude - School of Hard Knocks
This was a thought... How would you accurately re-create the exact shape of the inset? When taking a photo the image will be distorted due to the curve of the lens... Maybe measuring the **** out of it... but is there really a way to be perfect??

If you have Pro Vehicle Outlines, you can use the template for the shape....again, you will want to take accurate measurements and compare to the template. I've done it before on various other vans, and it's worked fine.

x2chris7x

Yes, trace with chalk and big sheet of paper. Use a plan scanner to scan the file. Bring it in at size and then just trace the outside line in illy. Done.

Yea... A BIG piece of paper, and a BIG scanner. That panel is roughly 30"h x 120"w... We have done something similar before, but had to cut the tracing paper into multiple pieces scan the piece in, re-assemble on the computer, then trace the shape. Doesn't sound as easy as you make it sound. IMHO