• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Trouble creating cutlines in Versaworks

Signturesigns

Hey, I'm trying to cut out a sticker on my Roland XC-540 and I dont know how to get the dancing ants to circle the image to show where the cuts will occur... I don't have illustrator or coraldraw on . my windows computer where the Versaworks is connected to...

I only have illustrator on my Mac computer which I did put the cutlines in that file before sending it over by email to my versa works software. Any ideas?

crny1

Are the cut lines on the top of the layer?
The spot color named correctly?
Set to convert all strokes to outlines?
If you want you can send me the file and I will look at it on my end to see if something is wrong.

Mainframe

I save all my files from my Mac as a .pdf, and I create outlines of the text, If your computers are on the same wifi router you can also network them and save the files directly to your pc.

I save the cutcontour line as .25 and make sure it is on top of my artwork.

ams

The color must be a spot color and named exactly "CutContour". I believe the outline has to be "Hairline" or 0.5 PT. A bigger outline won't be seen by Versaworks.

jimbug72

+1 to above advice, also make sure the stroke on your cut line is aligned to center, and perform "Flatten Transparency" on any raster images in the file.

Signturesigns

Are the cut lines on the top of the layer?
The spot color named correctly?
Set to convert all strokes to outlines?
If you want you can send me the file and I will look at it on my end to see if something is wrong.
Thanks! I attached exactly the view of my screen. I am trying to cut the words "Wilson Family Reunion" "2018" I dont know where to find the spot color. I am about to youtube a video to see if visually I can get help routing to it. So basically once I transform the artwork to the correct spot color and save it as a PDF when I go over to the Roland and open it in Versaworks Versaworks will automatically find the cutlines?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-06-07 at 10.17.58 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-06-07 at 10.17.58 AM.png
    72 KB · Views: 270
  • Screen Shot 2018-06-07 at 10.18.08 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-06-07 at 10.18.08 AM.png
    262.2 KB · Views: 296

Signturesigns

+1 to above advice, also make sure the stroke on your cut line is aligned to center, and perform "Flatten Transparency" on any raster images in the file.
ok, thank you I will do this now... but to clarify I attached exactly the view of my screen in my comments to CRNY1. I am trying to cut the words "Wilson Family Reunion" "2018" I dont know where to find the spot color but once I flatten transparency and transfer the artwork to the correct spot color outline do I save it as a PDF then go over to the Roland and open it in Versaworks and Versaworks will automatically find the cutlines?

Signturesigns

I save all my files from my Mac as a .pdf, and I create outlines of the text, If your computers are on the same wifi router you can also network them and save the files directly to your pc.

I save the cutcontour line as .25 and make sure it is on top of my artwork.
Hey Id love to talk to you to learn how you do this. Essentially I've been doing it manually whereby I've been emailing files to myself and opening it on my windows.. its a pain and very annoying. Can you shoot me your number in private message so we can chat live? I owe you big if you can help me switch to a more efficient process. Or if you know a good youtube video would you mind posting it to me?

Signturesigns

RVW Swatches can be downloaded from Roland.
Yes, thank you I trhink this is the missing link. I need to add the RVW swatches. Once I convert the outlines does it matter what type of file I save it as? I am going to call Roland so they point me to the right place to download from the webstie

TimToad

Its not critical that you use a Roland swatch. Here is the process from Illy.

New Swatch made from 100% Magenta. Rename swatch CutContour. Select cutline stroke only. In stroke tab, change stroke weight to .25 and limit to 1. The limit selection seems as important as any other factor. Make sure cutline is on top layer or above everything else. If saving as .eps, select high resolution option. If saving as a .pdf, choose "high quality print" option.

Boom, done.

shoresigns

New Swatch made from 100% Magenta. Rename swatch CutContour. Select cutline stroke only. In stroke tab, change stroke weight to .25 and limit to 1. The limit selection seems as important as any other factor. Make sure cutline is on top layer or above everything else. If saving as .eps, select high resolution option. If saving as a .pdf, choose "high quality print" option.

Boom, done.

Don't forget when you create the swatch, you have to select Spot colour, not Process colour.

Also, I've tested everything in the stroke panel for compatibility with VersaWorks cut lines.

Doesn't cause problems with VersaWorks cut lines
  • Stroke weight
  • Cap style
  • Corner style
  • Miter limit
  • Dot/dashed lines
  • Changing the CMYK code for the spot colour
  • Stacking order (you can put your cut lines underneath all your artwork if you want)
  • Gradients
Does cause problems with VersaWorks cut lines
  • Stroke alignment inside/outside
  • Arrow heads (cutting lines will work, but the arrow heads will knock out any artwork beneath them with white)
  • Stroke profile
  • Stroke brush
  • Most kinds of transparency effects (blending modes, opacity, etc.), if present anywhere in the artwork

Signturesigns

Boom, done.
Boom DONE IS RIGHT!!! WOOHOO thank you!