• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

trouble getting stuff to print to scale

chadalicious

I tried this yesterday and got no help, so I'll try it again.

I have tape measure that I have to print for a customer and it is very important they print to the correct scale. In my first attempt, I printed them and sent them off with the customer. They came back a few days later and informed me that by the end of the tape, they were off by about 1/8". They are using these on a digital saw to cut aluminum that is weighed as it is cut and with an extra 1/8" the weight is wrong and the piece of aluminum is scrapped.

In my second attempt, I spent well over an hour making sure that every line was at exactly 1/4". This time when I printed it, it was off by almost a 1/4" by the end of the tape.

I really need some ideas of what I can do to make sure they come out to the right length. The files were created in CorelDraw, exported as an EPS, and printed from Wasatch to our Mimaki JV5-160S.

Please help!

sfr table hockey

If you print on a piece of paper and then print on some heavy canvas or banner material you will get two different results with the feed of the rollers on the printer. You can do the test prints to correct this but you can also calculate the % you are off on (lets say a 48" run) and adjust the length of the print. Example make it 100.45 % every time you use that media and write it down. You will notice the horizontal print will be fine for both thickness of media but the feed rollers do roll the media out at a very slight different rate. I think the thicker the media the shorter it may come out if you don't set the printer up for every change of media. Sounds like some of the new printers may adjust for this in the profiles but mine sure does not.

In time you may find you need to re test your media or just measure after each job and if it starts to change a bit adjust the %.

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
I tried this yesterday and got no help, so I'll try it again.

I have tape measure that I have to print for a customer and it is very important they print to the correct scale. In my first attempt, I printed them and sent them off with the customer. They came back a few days later and informed me that by the end of the tape, they were off by about 1/8". They are using these on a digital saw to cut aluminum that is weighed as it is cut and with an extra 1/8" the weight is wrong and the piece of aluminum is scrapped.

In my second attempt, I spent well over an hour making sure that every line was at exactly 1/4". This time when I printed it, it was off by almost a 1/4" by the end of the tape.

I really need some ideas of what I can do to make sure they come out to the right length. The files were created in CorelDraw, exported as an EPS, and printed from Wasatch to our Mimaki JV5-160S.

Please help!

How long of a print are you doing? !/8" or 1/4" represents what part of 100 on your print?

If, say, you're print is six feet and you're off 1/8" that's 1 part in 576 which is perfectly acceptable accuracy. In fact it's incredible accuracy considering you're using a friction feed device that's heating and cooling the media willy-nilly as it passes through the mechanism.

Hell, if I print a 6' banner and in comes out +-3/4" I consider it right on.

chadalicious

How long of a print are you doing? !/8" or 1/4" represents what part of 100 on your print?

One is 45" long and the other is 70" long.

I think I am going to try printing them horizontally and splicing the long one together. That way I'm not fighting the rollers and heat stretched material.

Thanks for the help!

splizaat

I'm surprise no one mentioned the material SHRINKING?? Over heat and cooling, vinyl that's 70" I would expect to shrink 1/8" Over a couple weeks time.

I have to agree tho, that's pretty accurate.

chadalicious

I guess I forgot to mention that the prints actually came out longer than they were supposed to be, so shrinking from the heat wasn't the issue. Also, I guess what we consider accurate compared to what the customer needs it to be, is a pretty big deal. :)

splizaat

Unfortunately in the printing business, customers have a hard time understanding the slight margin for error. If they want it 100% precise, you're going to end up chasing your tail...they should have the tick marks machined by a precision machinist, or lasered. Even if the vinyl fits when it's on there, it's bound to shrink (at least I would think so?) over time.

I've heard in the apparel business some companies allow up to a 20% margin of error on printed garments...that's a BIG deal!

Good luck! let us know what u figure out!

mofire

We had this issue on our Roland. Come to find out that we were using the wrong profile for the thickness of the materials. We had the problems with banner material, we thought we were using a lightweight material, but the profile we should have used was for thicker banner. Made a big difference.

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
I don't think you will get consistent repeatable results trying to do this with an inkjet.
Just too many variables with the media and feed.
Are you mounting it to something rigid before it goes out?
Customer install would be a whole new can of worms.

wayne k
guam usa

splizaat

Customer install would be a whole new can of worms.

wayne k
guam usa

True. If it's 1/8" too LONG and they're installing, they could be pulling it tight to install. Have you measured the vinyl while it's on the carrier, right after it's been printed? If it's right on the money, you may try masking it to help with stretching during install? Just an idea