• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Trouble opening flexi files in flexi

MarshHead

I created and saved all of my files in Flexi 10. I am now working for a friend who runs 8.6 on her computer. Not sure why she is running 8.6 but that is beside the point. I have all of my files saved on my external drive. The issue is that none of my files created in 10 will open in 8.6. Boggles the mind. I am completely lost, this makes absolutely no sense what so ever. Anyone encounter this problem before. Thanks, Jason

Most software that I know of won't open newer version files in older version software. The older version will need to be updated to open the newer version files.

strypguy

Not sure how many files you are talking about but you might need to get someone with flexi 10 to open and export all your files to an earlier version of flexi. John

Sign Eagle

We have one computer with Flexi Pro 10 and one with 8.6 design station, and we send files back and forth every day, only issue I've ever noticed is if using a font that's not in the other machine, then just export as EPS, you loose text editing ability but never had a problem opening the file.

chester215

Just call me Chester.
In my newer edition of flexi you can export the file to an older version the same way you would to create a pdf.
Try file\export then see if there older versions in the drop down box for a version compatible with yours.
I guess you need to find someone with a newer version to convert them for you.

SeMi57

When saving them in the Flexi 10 there is a place where you can save it to an earlier Flexi version or change your work area to that of the 8.6 and save and you should then be able to open them in the older program. If a font is missing on the machine it will ask you which font you want to use because it is not available.

Mike Paul

Super Active Member
I created and saved all of my files in Flexi 10. I am now working for a friend who runs 8.6 on her computer.
The issue is that none of my files created in 10 will open in 8.6. Boggles the mind. I am completely lost, this makes absolutely no sense what so ever. Anyone encounter this problem before. Thanks, Jason

She needs to upgrade her Flexi software to 10 or you need to export your file to the version she is running.

The latest version of Flexi will open all file from previous versions but older version won't open newer Flexi files. Most software works like this...

SightLine

║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█
Boggles the mind and makes no sense???? :help You have been using computers for more than a year or two right?

Just saying - this is just common sense (as in everyone knows this) and is pretty much standard on 95% of software for the past 20 years. Newer versions of software introduce newer features, etc. that an older version will not understand or be able to deal with. Its pretty much a common standard in just about all software and programs that a newer version can generally open files created in an older version but an older version more often than not cannot open a file created in a newer version. This is why many programs give you the ability to export or save to a lower version. Flexi - its under export, Illustrator (or Photoshop) - its under the save options that come up when you save, Office apps (Word, Excel, etc) its under Save As. If this was not common all these programs would not bother with giving that capability.

Sometimes it might work in some programs though. For example, a file originally made in Flexi 8.6, then subsequently used in Flexi 10, will probably still open fine again in 8.6 again even after saved over in version 10. Unless some specific feature that is new to version 10 was done to the file - then 8.6 might freak out if you tried to open it there again.

Not trying to be harsh or anything. I honestly though this was just common sense that files from newer versions of programs (just about any programs except maybe a txt file) very likely will have problems or not open at all in an older version of the same program.

MarshHead

Thanks for the info. I appreciate everyone's response. Yes I know its a common sense matter. I have never had an issue like this before. I have always opened v10 files in 8.6. and v8.6 in 10. All the files are opening properly on a friends version of flexi 10. Thanks again, Jason

Kwiksigns

wookie
It is a Cloud issue. When they made Cloud, they made the program able to save a larger workspace. You can't open a native cloud file in 10. I found this out very quick. Export as flexisign 10 file and you should be fine.