• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Truck stop acid wash?

speedmedia

I have a customer who is looking to wrap an entire semi and he was curious if the Acid wash at the truck stops will hurt the wrap or the laminate in any way.

Anyone experience this at all. I would think it wouldn't hurt but want to make sure before he spends thousands upon thousands getting this thing done.

Thanks,
Kurt

formanek

Of course it depends on the vinyl and what the "acid" really is. My experience so far has been no issues with Avery MPI Easy.

Si Allen

Ha ha! Good luck!!!

If something is good, more is better ... and too much is about right!

Many years ago I lettered up 3 brand new tractors for a transport company ... these were for hauling high end materials ... and they wanted them to look good.

3 weeks later, I get a call ... and he is screaming "Your paint is falling off our trucks!"

I go over to look, and the paint is coming off ... also the nicely polished bumpers and wheels are now frosted.

He sees me and runs out and says "One trip to NY, and your paint is falling off!"
I asked if they had them acid washed back there?

"Of course! Wanted them to look good coming back!"

I said "Look at your bumpers and wheels. the wash was so strong it ate the aluminum! What do you expect it to do to paint?"

"Hmmm ... guess you are right ... can you fix it up?

:covereyes: :omg2::banghead::banghead::banghead:

HulkSmash

3M came out with a acid proof lam, specifically meant to go through that chit. Good luck it's 7-800 a roll. came out at the ISA show.

wildside

acid wash is hard on everything - but it does get the aluminum and stainless clean

don't matter if they make a laminate that is resistant to it....it attacks the edges more than the face - every seam and edge is vulnerable

i tell every truck driver what it does and if they still choose to go that route, expect failures and fast

Tony McD

I used to work for a beer company and we had our own truck wash.
We had a heat fired pressure washer, a and a bucket of soapy water and
brushes to scrub the whole truck, which takes a while. It wasn't just wash it
once a week...it got washed every time it was dirty. Could be 3 or 4 times a week.

Then, they gave us some of the acid wash to try.
We were amazed...the diesel smoke stains and grime just rolled off without much or any scrubbing. Real happy with it for about three weeks, and noticed the paint on all the trucks was turning to chalk. Back to scrubbin'

TyrantDesigner

Art! Hot and fresh.
I hate truck washes ... I have seen them acid eat brand new metallic vinyl to the point where only thing left was adhesive and the acid reacted with the adhesive to discolor the paint underneath. Tell the driver if he wants to go through truck washes with acid to try not to go through to high a concentration ... it will do gnarly things to vinyl ... and make sure to hand wax the truck afterwards ... that way all the road grime sticks to the wax and not the print so the truck wash doesn't have to try to hard to get it off.