• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

True Artistry

Tim Kingston

As a fledgling Graphic Designer, Large Format digital print guy, photographer and general lover of Art, I must say that you people, the sign painters are the true artists of this trade. I know most of you already know that but I just wanted say it out loud. I was wondering if anyone has seen this or are possible is in this? I'd love to see this film, I'm sure I'd learn a lot. :notworthy:

http://signpaintermovie.blogspot.ca/

mike ham

blast from the past

brings back a lot of memories of older signwriters. dont know if i quite agree with throwing in the towl bit. back then it was more or less a secret society everybody kept their skills to themselves and shared with nobody. pissy billy was the most talented signwriter in town if u could keep him sober lol. yeah it was easier to buy a 4b than deal with some of the characters. nice movie trailer will keep eye out

Jillbeans

I'm planning to see it in a few weeks in Pittsburgh.
There was some talk of having a mini-meet at the theater but it hasn't materialized.
Have been painting signs for almost 30 years, and enjoy it tremendously.
It's dealing with people who think that I do it for beer money that I mostly dislike.
Love....Jill

Craig Sjoquist

It is the greatest movie, you will walk away wishing it lasted 3 times longer, you will laugh, cry, cheer, get serious, & wonder

Yes some of the best are in & some of the newbies but all are true to the trade & art form it is.

Many of the screenings are sold out & many put on a gallery & workshops.

Here in Orlando it was just a meet & show, I tried to promote it by painting signs & placing them in supplier locations & brought them to the show because seeing what the sponsor AIGA was doing nothing in promotion, this is a a public art film, the reason so few locations & small theaters.

Knowing several people & even one partnered with awhile back, I was really pumped to see.

I was the only one that brought the book & Faythe & Sam autographed, plus pictures were taken with me & my signs so cool, this movie has re-energized me to keep on keeping on.

At the show 95% were graphic artist, less then 10 sign shop people I was the 1 of 2 that still use a brush, & several wanted to see but was sold out, this movie is for everybody, you will walk away feeling you have really seen something & wishing you could be part of it.

Craig Sjoquist

Oh to add the DVD will be out hopefully by end of year & even my supplier is hoping to show it again on a wall here with more fan fare & promotion wooo hooo.

Justin

I'm quite impressed by the trailer and would love to see this!

What is it when all they do is basically color in the stencils?

Gravy

It's good to see the artistry is still appreciated. As long as there are those that see the beauty in the hand painting, then there will be someone who can do it. I happen to prefer a handpainted piece over vinyl anyday. Sometimes during a rush i will need to get a machine to give me a mask for an image.