• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

TrueVis ink usage issue

MrDav3C

So I finally have my new TrueVis SG3 installed which I absolutely love...

HOWEVER there seems to be an issue where the printer / software is showing I'm using the same amount of ink when I'm contour cutting a job after lamination as I am when I'm printing a job (so the printer is cutting only but saying it's using ink to do this)?

It's basically showing I'm doubling my ink usage every time I have to cut a job and reflecting this in the ink levels displayed. In reality this isn't possible but I suspect it will then tell me I'm out of ink when I'm not.

Has anyone else experienced this or something similar and knows how to put it right?

Thanks in advance!

damonCA21

The ink levels on roland printers are only a rough estimate. They just work on how long the printer is on doing something, and assume how much ink is being used. It will tell you when the ink is low though, so don't worry about what it shows before then.

Rmurray321

You’ll know when you’re truly low on ink when it says printer out of ink haha.

Check your firmware though, the original firmware on my VG3 wouldn’t register any ink being used at all. Update to latest version

cornholio

I could imagine, that it's only displayed in Versaworks. The real ink empty is sensed during damper refilling. If the pump can't fill the damper (because the bag is empty), it will give a ink empty message, after it tried multiple times without success. It even gives you the chance to take out the cartridge, check for ink inside and let it try again, if it wasn't empty.

MrDav3C

Appreciate all your replies, I suspect if I took the ink cartridges out they would then re-register the ink levels correctly. Obviously don't want to do this yet and mask the issue.

Have raised this with Roland & my printer supplier's tech support. Roland seem to grasp the issue, my printer supplier on the other hand are a bit more hard work. Will definitely look at the firmware although I thought this was updated when the technician installed the machine. Is this something I look at through DG Connect or do I have to do something different?

Thanks!

Costa Mesa Sign

So I finally have my new TrueVis SG3 installed which I absolutely love...

HOWEVER there seems to be an issue where the printer / software is showing I'm using the same amount of ink when I'm contour cutting a job after lamination as I am when I'm printing a job (so the printer is cutting only but saying it's using ink to do this)?

It's basically showing I'm doubling my ink usage every time I have to cut a job and reflecting this in the ink levels displayed. In reality this isn't possible but I suspect it will then tell me I'm out of ink when I'm not.

Has anyone else experienced this or something similar and knows how to put it right?

Thanks in advance!
Your best best is to just average ink cost as a fixed cost, typically $0.20 a sq ft. Its the media and production costs that I watch more closely. They are the variables that can start bleeding margins the quickest.

Ink usage is more in line with equipment payment of power costs.