• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need Help Truevis Vg640 Banding - argh.......

CAPTANDY

Hi all,

I am a newbie to this forum and hope someone can help?

We have a Roland Truevis vg640 which is a warranty replacement for a VG540 (that has the same issue).

We have continuing issues with banding (lightpass banding as the engineer calls it) and cannot seem to get rid of it (see images below which show problem, although this is a mild example of it)

Lots of tests have been carried out with no solution. Most recent suggested possible cause is static?? Have tried antistatic cord this week, however it still is appearing.

Should have said, most noticeable on self adhesive vinyls, although still appears on roll up light block too and some others..

Waiting on further comment from dealer.

Any ideas?

Thanks

AD

20190918_152621.jpg 20190918_152623.jpg

rjssigns

Try printing unidirectional. If banding goes away or is greatly diminished there are ink delivery issues.

Scott at Roland

Hi all,

I am a newbie to this forum and hope someone can help?

We have a Roland Truevis vg640 which is a warranty replacement for a VG540 (that has the same issue).

We have continuing issues with banding (lightpass banding as the engineer calls it) and cannot seem to get rid of it (see images below which show problem, although this is a mild example of it)

Lots of tests have been carried out with no solution. Most recent suggested possible cause is static?? Have tried antistatic cord this week, however it still is appearing.

Should have said, most noticeable on self adhesive vinyls, although still appears on roll up light block too and some others..

Waiting on further comment from dealer.

Any ideas?

Thanks

AD

View attachment 142995 View attachment 142996
Hi Captandy - Sorry you are having issues with your printer. Obviously, this forum is limited in what we can figure out, but please feel free to PM if you like and I will get you connected with our service department. In the meantime, a couple ideas and suggestions - first, if you are not printing in Low Head Height, I would recommend trying that. The higher setting could be causing this type of issue. Another thing to try is to add more pinch rollers to improve the feed accuracy of your device. It's possible that slight media slippage or drag is having some sort of negative effect. You could even try printing on a sheet of media as opposed to the roll to see if your feed assembly is giving you problems.
Static is public enemy #1 in large format. I know you tried the static cord, but also keep in mind temperature and humidity of your facility. Being summer, I don't expect that this is a problem, but make sure it isn't too cold or dry in your facility.

I had a truevis sg540 it was rubbish, the tech went from -you don't know how to operate a printer- to -this is what you get if you're cheapskate and buy SG instead of VG- then -static-bad media-humidity-ink-voltage-temperature- you name it. Then I bought a Mimaki CJV150 that printer printed very well, no complaints. Now I print with an s80600 and the difference is HUGE, it's everything you can dream about: fast,silent, colors are incredibly vibrant, and quality... boy oh boy 720x720 dpi 8pass gives you offset like quality, feed calibration is automatic !!! and ink cures almost instantly. Sometimes I have no time to wait to outgas and need to laminate right away - not a single failure till now. In the age of self driving cars I think this printer needs to be the bare minimum. And of course I never had any static, humidity and other bullshit problems and trust me here in the UK the weather is not really our friend. Just get rid of the truvis, buy an Epson and focus on production instead of troubleshooting.

CAPTANDY

Hi Captandy - Sorry you are having issues with your printer. Obviously, this forum is limited in what we can figure out, but please feel free to PM if you like and I will get you connected with our service department. In the meantime, a couple ideas and suggestions - first, if you are not printing in Low Head Height, I would recommend trying that. The higher setting could be causing this type of issue. Another thing to try is to add more pinch rollers to improve the feed accuracy of your device. It's possible that slight media slippage or drag is having some sort of negative effect. You could even try printing on a sheet of media as opposed to the roll to see if your feed assembly is giving you problems.
Static is public enemy #1 in large format. I know you tried the static cord, but also keep in mind temperature and humidity of your facility. Being summer, I don't expect that this is a problem, but make sure it isn't too cold or dry in your facility.

Thanks for your reply, currently dealing with service in the UK. Tried your suggestions to no avail unfortunately. Humidity is not an issue where I am, so that is out.

Dr. Decal

Did you ever get this issue resolved? I have had the same issue off and on for the last year with a VG-540. It comes and goes, but I have never gotten a solid answer from a tech or from Roland. We went through ink lines, dampers, cap tops, Ink line filters?, encoder strip, feed motor. They changed everything they could think of, and the problem still pops up occasionally.

CAPTANDY

Did you ever get this issue resolved? I have had the same issue off and on for the last year with a VG-540. It comes and goes, but I have never gotten a solid answer from a tech or from Roland. We went through ink lines, dampers, cap tops, Ink line filters?, encoder strip, feed motor. They changed everything they could think of, and the problem still pops up occasionally.

Hi.
Problem seems to have gone, thankfully. No definitive answer as to what was the cause, possibly due to static. We changed the carpet to laminate floor, changed the cutting strip to one off of an XR as it is not PVC based, and upgraded to VG2 inks. Not had the issue since. Hope this helps.

OADesign

I've have had the same issue. What works for me is slowing the head speed down in rip. I think the generic default is 1185. I have gone as low as 800 with great results, albeit slower. Also turning down the print heater a bit helped me a lot. Same machine for the record.