• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

TruVis VG-640 cap top replacement

Joe House

I've replaced more than most people. It is not as easy as earlier models, but not beyond reach to do it yourself. I usually encourage my customers to pay me to do it the first time and I let them watch. Then they can decide whether or not they want to tackle it, but I will try to describe my method.

First, turn off and unplug your printer. You're not getting into electronics here, but it's a good habit to be in. Unlock the carriage by moving slightly to the right, then you can move it over the platen to the left. I usually leave vinyl loaded in while I do this to catch any drips that may fall.
Now, you'll have to lift up the cap top plate, by sliding it to the right till it can come up out of the base. There are 2 springs that hold it down. I don't remove these while I do it, but that may make it easier - then you have to remember where they go after you're done, so it's a little trade off. Take pictures of where everything is from different angles so you'll be able to get things back together.

Once you can access the underside of the cap tops, separate the tube below the cap top at the joint - leave the joint on the tube that goes to the pump. Remove the joint from the tube that goes up to the cap top (removing it from the wrong tube can lead to an air leak there.

I only work on one cap top at a time - this will give you 3 visual references to look at when you put things back together. Now, put the cap top plate back in the base. Remove the back screw that holds the cap top holder. Loosen - don't remove - the front screw. The cap top and hold can now slide backwards and forwards. You'll need to go both directions to remove the cap top. Now - important - don't loose the springs under the cap top - they like to fly away and crawl under the capping station or other obscure areas in the printer. Toss the old cap top and put the new one in by reversing the process above. Repeat on the other 3 cap tops.

Good Luck