• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Trying to cut out stencils with a my plotter. Please help

EZAMORA

Hi everyone! I own a Graphtec Fc7000-75 and I need it to cut stencils for my other business.Is it possible for such cutter to cut out Mylar? any info will be well appreciated. Thank you and have a good day!!

OldPaint

simple way would be to get STENCIL MATERIAL.........put a pen in the plotter......let plotter draw......and then you can cut with an exacto.....i dont know of any stencil material you can get with a backing so you can cut it like vinyl
closest i can get ya... is here.
http://www.uscutter.com/Stencil-Material

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
Hi everyone! I own a Graphtec Fc7000-75 and I need it to cut stencils for my other business.Is it possible for such cutter to cut out Mylar? any info will be well appreciated. Thank you and have a good day!!

If by Mylar you mean material like the sheets of stencil material you can get at places like Hobby Lobby then you should be fine. I've cut stencils in these from time to time. Apply app tape to one side to give it a backing, put the blade out a little farther, and increase the pressure a bit. Dropping the speed some is also a boon, the stuff doesn't feed as well as vinyl. Since you're using relatively thin app tap as a backing, set up the blade and pressure with test cuts so that it just barely cuts the stencil material. You don't want to be dragging the blade through the app tape backing. That being the case, often you have to pop out the corners but all in all it's no big deal.

round man

I've had luck with laminate thickness lexan sheets ,....just put them in the plotter and up the pressure and slow it down till it scores the lexan enough to snap it apart,...makes great airbrush stencils that can be used repeatedly,...

artbot

i know nothing of plotters (never used one ever). but we do make LOTS OF STENCILS at the studio.

the best stencil material is polystyrene. i'd assume that .020 would go through a plotter just fine. any score will to. at that point the mark is very fragile and can be broken out after passing through.

we make so many stencils over here, i've been considering getting a laser stencil cutter (53"). i'm aware that there are dedicated stencil plotters but they seem to be expensive, small (even 53" will be too small at times).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0jYn4iDa9O8

Commando

I use the back of elecra cut film.
I separate the vinyl from the backing, spray it with adhesive and rub it out on a thick laminated wall calendar(so it does not cut in the strips), up my pressure and its done.

Milo

We have a Graphtec and have cut lots of stencils with .02 polystyrene and the red tip holder and 1.5 blade. Score cut and pop it out.