• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

trying to draw ripped effect

signwizz

i drew this effect with a tablet let me have it i think it looks weird ......
its going on a black truck and supposed to look torn with triton boats inside....
any suggestions good or bad will be appreciated.
ps just applied a thick skin so let it rip!
shane

Attachments

• dave ripped triton logo.jpg
    dave ripped triton logo.jpg
    33.4 KB · Views: 94

rjssigns

It just needs some dimensional shading and the ends of the shred need to be curved and shaded. I played around with shreds way back when. You need to "push" the shade off the interior with a drop shadow also. Until I did some shading work they didn't look right.

omgsideburns

besides needing some shading, the ripping needs to be rough on the inside and outside.. you have like that amoeba shape on the inside with tearing on the outside.

signwizz

i know it needs a shadow under the tears but its going on a black truck so i think it will look flat and is there any tricks in flexi to achieve the proper shading im not that good at illy or ps im learning but slow lol
thanks

xxaxx

i know it needs a shadow under the tears but its going on a black truck so i think it will look flat and is there any tricks in flexi to achieve the proper shading im not that good at illy or ps im learning but slow lol
thanks

Not on the black, they mean on the inside section by the logo ... it helps to give depth to it and look like the logo is under the paint.

ShoNuff

The Doer of Things
for a nice shading, you should bring your vectors in to photoshop as smart objects. The blending properties in the layers will give you the best looking shading results. Vector program shading will not give you the look you're wanting once printed. I would build all vector base then import each layered element into its own layer as it's own smart object. From there is just a matter of building up the layers with different blending and layer fx's. I will not use illustrator's or flexi's blending/shading efx. they're terrible upon printing.

xxaxx

Heres an example from a quick google search ... look at the shading on the inside by the skulls ... and the curled back metal has depth because of the added shading. Like Les said, probably easiest to shape it out in illustrator like you have then switch to pshop for the detailing in the metal.

Attachments

• ripped metal skulls 1.jpg
    ripped metal skulls 1.jpg
    70.1 KB · Views: 60

peavey123

This is not really useful for your application but for the photoshop nerds. Try ripping some paper and folding it to get the look you are going for and then photographing it with light sources coming from proper angles. Bring that image into photoshop. You can get some crazy graphics. Got this idea way back in the day. The tutorial had a model with her scalp coming apart and butterflies flying out.

OldPaint

check with fred, he ca sell you a VECTOR torn metal from VECTOR ART #1, its under accents 2 as tormetal i used it here:

Attachments

• bulletholesm.jpg
    bulletholesm.jpg
    34.9 KB · Views: 86

Gino

Premium Subscriber
I don't know if it's a logo, but the red is killing that copy.

Not sure why, but I see a cat with fins morphing into a anodized aluminum dragon with little bullets floating around inside.

As for putting shading and highlights on, you need to determine a light source and then everything else will probably have to become 3D in appearance or you're gonna have flats spots and surreal mixed into one big mess.

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
Any idea if these will work as a Flexi Plug-in?
Look at the "whats included" tab.
It is a layered PSD and a abr brush file.
If Flexi does not mangle the psd it will work.
I don't think flexi can use photoshop brushes so those are out.
If you took advantage of that free CS2 Photoshop download a while ago you should be good to go.

wayne k
guam usa