• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Trying to get into the biz

Steenland

Old Member
Also, you can put a box around it and it doesnt shrink for some reason.

Commando, you said "You can put a box around it and it doesn't shrink for some reason." Can you explain this? Do you mean that you draw a box around your artwork before printing and that makes it print with an accurate length?

Commando

Commando, you said "You can put a box around it and it doesn't shrink for some reason." Can you explain this? Do you mean that you draw a box around your artwork before printing and that makes it print with an accurate length?
Thats it. For instance, if i am doing a face for aluminum, I will put the registration marks on it. Then, I just put a bigger box around the whole thing. The only bad thing is, i have to use a 30" roll for a 24" face, 24" for an 18" etc.
If its just registration marks, it will shrink 50% of the time.

HulkSmash

You'll also want to have lower grade media on hand for simple sign work and another for flat surfaces such as box trucks. The good wrap vinyl & laminate is overkill for these. Any way to cut cost is a good thing. Also consider a "hood laminate" not sure what the technical term is but it's formulated for horizontal surfaces that bake in the heat. I'm in Florida so that's a must. When quoting jobs ensure you factor in extra time for rivets, removing badges, cleaning surfaces etc. Also a bonus if you have access to a climate controlled well lit dedicated wrap bay. butane trigger heat guns, good quality squeegees, strong magnets to hold the wrap in place .

Just my 2¢
horrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrible advice.

always use cast on ANYTHING on wheels. It isn't over kill. The sun is still the same on box trucks, as it is on regular vehicles.

get latex machines, we have a bunch - for wraps they are the only choice.

Steenland

Old Member
Thats it. For instance, if i am doing a face for aluminum, I will put the registration marks on it. Then, I just put a bigger box around the whole thing. The only bad thing is, i have to use a 30" roll for a 24" face, 24" for an 18" etc.
If its just registration marks, it will shrink 50% of the time.
That sounds like a RIP issue rather than a printer issue. Or am I misunderstanding something?

myront

CorelDRAW is best
horrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrible advice.

always use cast on ANYTHING on wheels. It isn't over kill. The sun is still the same on box trucks, as it is on regular vehicles.

get latex machines, we have a bunch - for wraps they are the only choice.

Did you fail science class? The sun is the same on a vertical surface (box truck) as it is on a horizontal surface (hood)?

Wasn't my decision. I don't own the business. We do use "cast on ANYTHING with wheels." As well as many other outdoor signage. There is, however, a lesser expensive cast vinyl with the same exact life expectancy that can be used if most of the surface is flat, vertical and the need to conform isn't an issue (box trucks).

p.s. we've been in the business over 28 years.

Commando

That sounds like a RIP issue rather than a printer issue. Or am I misunderstanding something?
Flexi said it was a printer issue. HP said they dont know what to tell me. This is a common problem with these machines. With different RIPs. Onyx, colorgate..

Stacey K

I like making signs
"Getting stuff done" - that's the reason I got into this business also. We had a hard time finding anyone to put the graphics on my husbands race car so I decided to do it myself and bought a cutter. It's a great way to get into the business but after a while, you find doing race cars isn't as lucrative as working with businesses. It might be these days because of wraps but when I started it was all cut vinyl, multiple colors, etc. Dented cards, constant changes...ugh. Many sign companies put race cars as low priority once they are established.