Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Trying to print Cool Grey 5

Discussion in 'Roland' started by bayviewsignworks, Jul 6, 2009.

1. I tried the "Density Control Only" using several different profiles but I still get dots. I want it to be smooth, with not dots. Help?

Tags:
  2. Artildawn

Artildawn Member

Jun 23, 2009
    might want to say what you're printing to/from.

3. Starting in Illsutrator (CMYK), going to VersaWorks.

4. cptcorn

cptcorn adad

Jul 16, 2007
    Two Harbors
    Create in house profiles... printing from machine to machine is different... humidity... temperature... are all variables... you can half *** it like most people and adjust the levels yourself, or you can do it the correct way and start creating your own in house profiles...

5. Looked it up in help. Under edit menu, used "Special colrs". I wil jump into the Profiles thing. once I got in there I realized I can make my own. Thanks!

6. Typestries

Typestries Very Active Member

Jan 8, 2007
    NJ | VT
    After yo dial your profiles in, Try printing this test grid file......I created it with a program called Catzper. It should help you find the correct color to get cool gray 5 on your machine. Print it, then compare the output to what you want to hit, id the proper square then sample that squares color in photoshop and use that color value in your design you need to print.

Attached Files:

7. Modern Ink

Modern Ink Member

Oct 30, 2006
    You might want to do a manual CMYK input (if you can on Versa). I use ONYX, which you can do color subs.

8. I did print out out but it was a screen, not solid, 29% black (the CMYK equiv.) The other colors I printed using hte density control only check box and they came out a nice solid. This "gray" didn't seem to act the same way.

9. Proteus

Proteus New Member

Sep 29, 2008
    Cool Gray 5 should be set to the spot color in Illustrator or 15% C, 9% M, 8% Y, 22% K. Period. If the output does not match cool gray 5 you need to recreate your profile or create a custom color in versaworks using a pantone swatchbook. You shouldn't be adjusting color levels in illustrator to achieve a color, because the problem is not your file -- it is your profile.

10. Pacific Coast Sign

Pacific Coast Sign Active Member

Jun 19, 2008
    Portland, OR
    Roland has a PDF help file for PRINTING GRAYS.