• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Trying to remove hdu letters from hdu background

LoGl

I can not seem to find any threads directly about removing hdu letters so I will ask for your help.

I have a sign face made of 2" thick HDU. Attached to it are 1" HDU letters. I did not make the original sign, but we have been asked to reconfigure/remove some parts of the sign and put it on a new background in a new configuration.

The letters appear to be in great shape, but I am hesitant to remove them as they could easily break. It looks to me like they were applied and screwed in from the backside of the sign. In trying to remove a small graphic element, it did not come off easy. So A) they were originally glued in place and/or screwed in from the back with a dab of silicone in the holes or B) just surface glued and reinforced with a screw from the back (actually many screws) with no additional glue in the holes.

With some tools, I can do some prying ...but I wondered if there might be a solvent that would loosen the silicone or adhesive? I was also thinking that using some fishing wire (like removing a car emblem) might do it too.
attachment.php

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Just when you think you've come across it all! :)

Attachments

• HDU Removal1.jpg
    HDU Removal1.jpg
    26.7 KB · Views: 316
  • HDU Removal2.jpg
    HDU Removal2.jpg
    20 KB · Views: 259

fishing line or guitar string if they are only glued. YOu will quickly find out if they are screwed also. It doesn't look like there are any screws in the holes of the attached picture.

LoGl

It doesn't look like there are any screws in the holes of the attached picture.

Ha...I didn't realize what piece I picked up and snapped a photo of! Correct! Screws came out of one section easy. Other section not so easy so far.
It's a 14' long sign....LOTS more to remove!

Guitar string though! Perfect....have that!

Z SIGNS

Sell em a new sign

In my shop "Reconfiguring" a sign cost more than a new one.

It's like taking your ford truck to the autobody shop and asking them to make it look like a Chevy truck
"that's cheaper right"

Run away fast from the customer that dose not not need a new sign and only wants to "change" the existing.

Most custom signs are handcrafted one of kind creations that were not made to be be "reconfigured"

If all else fails and this is the kind of work you want.
Sign foam is soft.You could grind the letters off,lay down some paint and slap on some vinyl letters.

GVP

What about one of these? With the right blade, it'd probably cut through the screws as well?

Attachments

• product_MX25E.jpg
    product_MX25E.jpg
    15.6 KB · Views: 227

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Sounds like someone inherited a sign and is too cheap to do it right. Everyone wants to save a buck........ but at your expense.

Like mentioned, if you can't talk them into a new one, tell them it is not worth your...... or their time to experiment. Anything go wrong, are they gonna pay you for lost time ??....... then to start over ??

Tell them you tried and it broke into a million pieces and you threw them away. Now what ?? :rolleyes:

LoGl

In my shop "Reconfiguring" a sign cost more than a new one.

It's like taking your ford truck to the autobody shop and asking them to make it look like a Chevy truck
"that's cheaper right"

Run away fast from the customer that dose not not need a new sign and only wants to "change" the existing.

Most custom signs are handcrafted one of kind creations that were not made to be be "reconfigured"

If all else fails and this is the kind of work you want.
Sign foam is soft.You could grind the letters off,lay down some paint and slap on some vinyl letters.

Seriously. What is wrong with you people? Not one word was said about how much was being charged...be it in materials and/or labor.
Not one "cheap" was mentioned in my post.
The "kind of work I want"? yeah, give me all the **** work out there....I want to be miserable like the other sign guys in this forum.

Wow....doesn't anyone know the saying "if you haven't got anything nice to say, don't say it at all"? I guess I should build better relationships with more sign people
across the world so that maybe we can share information through PM's. These boards used to be where sign people learned from one another. I've been doing this type
of work for over 25 years. I think I know a thing or two. God forbid I ask a question on a forum. I don't want no stinkin' Chevy, and neither does my customer. Geesh.

ChaseO

Premium Subscriber
I think they had good intentions telling you not to do it. A lot CAN go wrong trying to cut off HDU letters, not to mention if you end up cutting or sawing them off, you are going to have a ton of prep time getting them ready to re-glue. As far as softening the glue, I don't think there is such a product available, especially one that wouldn't harm the foam and paint in the process. In your case, I would convince them to start over and use the existing sign as a wall hanger inside. If that is not an option, remove the screws and bust out the putty knife. Good Luck!

LoGl

What about one of these? With the right blade, it'd probably cut through the screws as well?

Thank you! So far this has worked best! We have just begun...but I am hopeful!

Yes..there will be some prep time involved...but I am confident that we have priced all our time accordingly and then this lovely sign will breathe new life. Someone really did a fine job with this one and I'm glad we are able to assist the customer and give him what he asked for. Every job is indeed a challenge....and afterall, isn't that part of why we do what we do? If I did the same ol' mundane junk, day in and day out, I'd go crazy. And learning something new each and every day is part of what keeps things real.

Thank you GVP. Much obliged!

GVP

You're very welcome. Hope it goes well for you.

Thank you! So far this has worked best! We have just begun...but I am hopeful!

Yes..there will be some prep time involved...but I am confident that we have priced all our time accordingly and then this lovely sign will breathe new life. Someone really did a fine job with this one and I'm glad we are able to assist the customer and give him what he asked for. Every job is indeed a challenge....and afterall, isn't that part of why we do what we do? If I did the same ol' mundane junk, day in and day out, I'd go crazy. And learning something new each and every day is part of what keeps things real.

Thank you GVP. Much obliged!