• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Trying to reset a gmail password....help!!!

gabagoo

We have an email associated to the accounting side of the business. I set it up for my sister who did the accounting. It really was meant to just send out invoices. She told me what password she wanted 3 or 4 years ago and in my own foolishness, I never wrote it down and she basically was allowed in every time she accessed it over 3 years and never once did she need to put in the password....so naturally she forgets what the password is.

Her computer was running really slow so I did some cleanup and ran ccleaner and cleaned out the cache and cookies. In any case now I need the password. I have tried every possible way she told me and nada.

I didn't think it would be so important but now wonder who is sending info through that email and for direct deposits I think I need to get back in to find what companies are paying for... so I tried again last night and finally hit the tab that says "forgot password" it asked a few questions which I guessed at and it seemed to work and sent me a code to my business email account. The gmail page instructed me to retrieve the code and apply it to the field on the screen. I do and below the code it has one of those robo passwords which lately are near impossible to make out. I punch in the code and the 8 digit word and then the screen pops up and now it is asking for the password.....so I am not sure as there is no instructions on what password I am supposed to put in... I try what I thought was the original password and again a new robo script and it just reopens again to the same page asking for password. In frustration I go through the whole exercise again and get a new security number emailed to me and this time I am thinking it wants a new password? heck that did not work and I don't understand what the purpose of Google sending me the code.. There is really no instructions on what password I am supposed to put in as I have forgotten the password.... any idea what I am supposed to do? OH and I did use even the security code as the passwaord and that failed as well.

Johnny Best

It is pretty simple since it is sending you the code to your backup email. Just copy and paste the code in, if I remember the code also is in all caps which you have to use. Also has the test to make sure your not a robot. Then it gives you a screen to put a new password in. Their security has changed so if you try more than three times you might have to wait before trying again.
I also use Dashlane on my IPhone to keep all my passwords, you can use your thumbprint for the code.

netsol

We have an email associated to the accounting side of the business. I set it up for my sister who did the accounting. It really was meant to just send out invoices. She told me what password she wanted 3 or 4 years ago and in my own foolishness, I never wrote it down and she basically was allowed in every time she accessed it over 3 years and never once did she need to put in the password....so naturally she forgets what the password is.

Her computer was running really slow so I did some cleanup and ran ccleaner and cleaned out the cache and cookies. In any case now I need the password. I have tried every possible way she told me and nada.

I didn't think it would be so important but now wonder who is sending info through that email and for direct deposits I think I need to get back in to find what companies are paying for... so I tried again last night and finally hit the tab that says "forgot password" it asked a few questions which I guessed at and it seemed to work and sent me a code to my business email account. The gmail page instructed me to retrieve the code and apply it to the field on the screen. I do and below the code it has one of those robo passwords which lately are near impossible to make out. I punch in the code and the 8 digit word and then the screen pops up and now it is asking for the password.....so I am not sure as there is no instructions on what password I am supposed to put in... I try what I thought was the original password and again a new robo script and it just reopens again to the same page asking for password. In frustration I go through the whole exercise again and get a new security number emailed to me and this time I am thinking it wants a new password? heck that did not work and I don't understand what the purpose of Google sending me the code.. There is really no instructions on what password I am supposed to put in as I have forgotten the password.... any idea what I am supposed to do? OH and I did use even the security code as the passwaord and that failed as well.

gabagoo

Yes I did all that the code was a number so no caps. what is frustrating is that there is no instruction and after you put the code in it just pops up a new screen with the password and no written info on what went wrong or what it wants me to do... I think the page was screwed up. Gonna try again today from my work computer.

gabagoo

I went to your link and I see in this link it shows me the recovery email ( bits and pieces and wants me to complete it) that is fine but that email is no longer in use and I can't access it so if it sends the code to that address I can never get it. hmmm I think I am screwed on this

Johnny Best

Have you been to the google website and put in the name of the email and go from there with you recovery. You do know the name of the email?

fresh

are you using a @gmail.com address or are they hosting your webmail? I'm pretty sure I need to talk to the admin on my account to change anything associated with my business gmail account. By admin, I'm talking about the webhosting company who set it up for me.

chester215

Just call me Chester.
What browser are you using??
In most of them there is a place to look at the stored passwords.
I don't think clearing the cache would delete these.

WildWestDesigns

I don't think clearing the cache would delete these.

Clearing out the cache shouldn't delete them, but if using a pretty thorough cleaner could delete them out.

I like Bleachbit, but the OP used CCleaner (which I also liked when I was on the Windows platform), depending on how that was setup (if it deleted more then the cache/cookies), it could have very well cleaned out the remembered passwords. If not, it should be able to be viewed within a simple text editor.

Only thing that I would be worried about now would be all those password resets. That might make this an exercise in futility.

WildWestDesigns

firefox, but the comp is old, I think it is still running xp and it is a gmail account.

Just for giggles, go into preferences > privacy/security > saved passwords

Again, though, depending on how CCleaner was run and how things went with the password reset, this may not work.