• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Turn around time..

Jeremiah

Guy walks into my shop yesterday and asks me to make a 8 ft Banner and a small sign
I review his request and do a basic layout. I give him the price and he says How Long ? I looked at the production list and told him Thursday after 1 pm. (2 days later). He gets mad and says I want it in 30 minutes. Turns out he sells chinese pre made flags. He continues to tell me that I will never make it in the business. I need to follow his business plan and hand client the item in 30 min max. He left with a huge sigh. Although I do squeeze in some small jobs, IF the machine is already running similar job and I can knock it out quickly. I dont want to ever sell only premade stuff. No challenge or Satisfaction Reward !

WhiskeyDreamer

Professional Snow Ninja
Hahahaha. 30 minutes. That's funny.

My standard is two weeks and I've turned client's away because they want things in a day or the same day. Now, don't get me wrong. Depending on the client, our relationship with them, and what they're asking for, I can and will turn things in a day. But that's extremely rare.

Our current production for screen printing and embroidery is 2021.

I'm upfront with anyone that walks in the door about our production time. Most people get it. They're ordering something custom and it doesn't happen in a moment. The ones that don't (usually a trucking company looking for same day turn around), turn around and walk out the door. If I need to really get my point across, I just point at our back wall which is filled with clipboards for all the jobs we currently have. They're all in front of the guy walking in the door.

Mark Van Dillen

When I went into business in 1994 I asked and old family friend and long time successful car repair business owner for advice. He said with a laugh "Take care of your last customer first and you will always have business." ---If I can't do what they need, or as fast as they need, I try to direct them to a solution to help them be successful in their endeavor.

Andy D

That's the type of customer you want to send to your nearest competition & hope they're dumb enough to bend over backwards for him.

Boudica

Back to "educational purposes"
“Look, If You Didn’t Want To Be On Call 24/7 For Emergencies, Then You Should Not Have Gone Into The High-Stakes World Of Banner-Making"
~ Leslie Knope

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Turn those away. You don't need to cultivate a buncha needy customers.

When he said 'How Long'...... maybe that was his name. He sells chinese flags, so maybe that's what they call him over there.​

Just politely tell people ike that..... somebody's gonna be first and somebody's gonna be last and the rest are all in between. Waste 2 more minutes and tell him, it takes more than that just to create the working files, the printing, the hemming and all the other finishing needed to do this project..... and Y O U think I can do it all in 30 minutes ??

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
My first boss in the sign industry told me to never let anyone know how fast you can make a design change because then they will just try to design through you and you'll never get any other work done. Same goes for making signs. If you want it in 30 minutes, it's gonna cost ya a lot more because I have to push everyone else's jobs down the list!

eahicks

Magna Cum Laude - School of Hard Knocks
You really should have had his job ready for him before he even ordered. That's how many of our customer's seem to think.

signage

need to make a shingle and hang it outside xxx the mind reading sign maker, your sign is ready before you enter:dog42:

Eforcer

2012 <--------

A DJ/Band member needs a 3 x 8 banner for Saturday it's Tuesday. I told him he can pick up Wednesday afternoon. He asked price, back then I was at 157.10. He said no way that he can go to Vista Print for $39.99. I smiled told him then order from them. {They will take 2 weeks} I said ok I will only charge you $150. He said that {I have no clue how to run a business. If someone tells you a price you should reconsider your price. If you continue to over charge you will be out of business soon!}

----> 2012 Still here. : )

I would have taken order and double the price, telling them if I have to risk losing my regular clients you have to put my skin in the game. Stand Your Ground!