• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Turning off heat after print/before cutting

RyBo

Hey all, I'm doing a large print/cut run, it's a lot of very full dark ink coverage, which is making the vinyl quite soft. If i print and cut right away, it fails miserably, tearing and wrinkling, etc...now I've already tried printing, letting it cure, than taking it back to cut, which works just fine, however...
I'm wondering if there's anyway to print, add a dry time, but instead of having the heat on during drying, turning it off automatically. Then after the dry time is complete...(giving the roland a chance to cool) proceeding with cutting.
I can do it manually by adjusting the heater config on the printer, but that requires me to be watching it constantly to catch it as it finishes printing..
This is mostly a curiosity, i doubt it would be the most efficient way of running the job, but i think it's worth exploring.

I'm using a Roland xc-540, and the latest version of Versaworks...

mark in tx

Turning the heat off during drying time will slow down the drying, and you will still have the problem.

Without doing some custom profiling to lower the ink densities, which will speed up the drying, you are still going to have to print, let it dry, then put it back in to cut.

Sign Works

Why not just print it w/crop marks then take the print out to allow it to fully dry, later reload print into printer w/heaters off and perform cut.

Ponto

I here you... I turn off the heat and set a "delay" time before the cut commences... the vinyl has enough time to cool before the plotting takes place and all should be good. I can't think of a way to automate the heat setting and don't think there is one.

JP

RyBo

Thanks Ponto ;) Ya that is looking to be my only option. Well that and print and cutting later.

Thankyou to the others as well, the problem is not drying, the ink is fully dry as soon as the print is done.. the problem was the vinyl being to soft and hot.
Also if I changed the ink densities it would change my colour, which was a 4 proof process, so that is not an option.

JET

Versaworks lets you set up a dry time. I think it also shuts off the heat during that time. It will allow it to cool. I set it for 5-15 minutes.