• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Two Plotters one serial connection ? roland and US Cutter ?

Bunky67

I have a Roland pnc-1050 hooked up to my desktop computer via serial port, and I picked up a US Cutter MH871, I can run the Us Cutter off a USB port but I have read about reliability issues,

So I was wondering if it was possible to run both of the cutters off Serial with a switch inline ?

Or If I should just try the USB Port ?

SightLine

║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█
Personally - I'd try the one on USB. There are also USB serial adapters - some work better than others though. You could use a manual serial switch though.

round man

if the us cutter will work off of a usb connection ,no need to fix it ,....run the roland off of a com port,....otherwise you can run both off of one serial(com) port with the aid of a $20 A/B switch add the cost of a null modem cable,....no way I would try to run both machines at the same time off of the single pc,...you will create a recipe for problems to arise,.....

Stanton

if the us cutter will work off of a usb connection ,no need to fix it ,....run the roland off of a com port,....otherwise you can run both off of one serial(com) port with the aid of a $20 A/B switch add the cost of a null modem cable,....no way I would try to run both machines at the same time off of the single pc,...you will create a recipe for problems to arise,.....

Back in the olden days I ran two output devices with an A/B switch.

One sits idle. Hmmmm.

Hook up both. What is the worst thing that can happen?

player

I recommend buying a 2nd used PC... A core2 duo for around $100.

You can link them together with a J5 Wormhole switch for $20.

Bunky67

USB or Serial

Thanks for all the responses.

I wasn't planning on running both plotters at the same time, I just wanted to be able to run one or the other without hooking and unhooking.

I will try the USB first and see what happens if problems then I will try a A/B switch...

Stanton

... if problems then I will try a A/B switch...

Nooooo.

If problems . . . then find a solution that will allow you to use all of your tools
at the same time.

Listen to us.

Ask more questions if you need to.

Don't fail back to an old A/B switch.

Bunky67

USB or Serial

Nooooo.

If problems . . . then find a solution that will allow you to use all of your tools
at the same time.

Listen to us.

Ask more questions if you need to.

Don't fail back to an old A/B switch.

Ok No A/B Switch, what about adding an additional parallel port ?

Bunky67

usb

No I'm going to try the usb.

I was just asking in case it didn't work I'm not against trying the simple choice first :thankyou: