• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Two Scenarios - How To Price?

Sven

1) Customer calls or stops by asking for a sign to be installed somewhere. He tells you exactly what he needs, how big, what material etc. and where it’s being installed--maybe even emails you a picture of the location.

2) Same exact sign - except in this case, the customer doesn’t know what he needs and you have to go on-site to meet him, take measurements, take pictures, offer advice, etc.

Do you charge more for the sign in the second scenario? I usually include some kind of “consultation” charge as I’m figuring out the estimate, although it's not spelled out in the invoice. I feel bad about adding a “consultation” item to the invoice, even though I think it’s fair. How should I charge for these different scenarios?

Billct2

I charge more, and don't explain unless asked
I don't itemize invoices, other than sometimes when it was quoted with permits and install seperate.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
In the second one, you should be able to get a feel for if it's a $400 instal or a $12,000 instal, hence put it in if it's big enough.

With all the information ahead of time, indicate other than obtaining permits, it will cost this amount.

If meeting someone, let them know there is a cost and if you get the job, this cost will be absorbed by the job and you'll see it reflect in the final price.

Sven

Thanks for the responses. I think this is more of an issue with small jobs. For example, a small aluminum sign that I may charge $45 for. Now, if I have to go install it on a brick wall 20min away, that may be another $70. And if I had to go meet the person first on-site because they don't know what they need, I'll want to add another $40 or so for the trip and time. And when I tell them the sign and install will cost $155 or more, I’m not too surprised if they complain or I don’t get the job, but I think the price is fair.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Tell them to e-mail you pictures of the sign and the building, then you should be able to estimate from that. Just add in travel time.

TXFB.INS

Tell them to e-mail you pictures of the sign and the building, then you should be able to estimate from that. Just add in travel time.

this,

and if not possible say there is a charge for me to travel and survey the site.
pictures usually are available then

401Graphics

If i have to take my bucket truck out on location for a estimate or a install i charge more. (well i charge more for installation no matter what, but always more on top of the reg price for the gas guzzling bucket truck)

fresh

I've scared away a few potential customers telling them that my install fee is $150, regardless of how big the job is.

Example:
Customer - The doctor's office I work at needs to change one name on the window lettering, can you come out and measure, and then come back, peel the old name, and replace the new name? (We didn't do the original lettering, so this is going to be a pain in the butt.)
Me - Any window lettering starts at $150, no matter how small. What time would you like me to meet you?
Customer - WHAT?? $150 for ONE NAME?!? Nevermind
Me - Okie dokie.

:)

J Hill Designs

I've scared away a few potential customers telling them that my install fee is $150, regardless of how big the job is.

Example:
Customer - The doctor's office I work at needs to change one name on the window lettering, can you come out and measure, and then come back, peel the old name, and replace the new name? (We didn't do the original lettering, so this is going to be a pain in the butt.)
Me - Any window lettering starts at $150, no matter how small. What time would you like me to meet you?
Customer - WHAT?? $150 for ONE NAME?!? Nevermind
Me - Okie dokie.

:)

Same here, but I usually start at $125 minimum

SD&F

I tell a customer to go out and take a picture if they can...cell phone or camera.
This gives me an idea of what I 'm dealing with. I thne price accordingly and yes I price differently.

threeputt

Sometimes on small jobs we say to the client, "yes, we can send someone out, but would you like to save some money?" (that plants the seed)

They usually say "yes!". Then I tell them, hey grab your phone, take a picture of the window, the wall, or whatever and send it to me.

A trip may still be necessary to determine letter size, font or whatever, but at least you have enough general information to be able to quote it, or know that you're not interested in the project.

I find that being helpful and appearing to have their best interests at heart, goes a long way.

fresh

Sometimes on small jobs we say to the client, "yes, we can send someone out, but would you like to save some money?" (that plants the seed)

They usually say "yes!". Then I tell them, hey grab your phone, take a picture of the window, the wall, or whatever and send it to me.

A trip may still be necessary to determine letter size, font or whatever, but at least you have enough general information to be able to quote it, or know that you're not interested in the project.

I find that being helpful and appearing to have their best interests at heart, goes a long way.

We actually do that a lot. Quick tip, have them tape a regular old piece of 8.5x11 printer paper next to the location of the sign... If they can figure out how to take a good, straight on picture, you can scale it from the image they sent you, Ta-Da!

I always want to help everyone, but I've been digging in my heels for people who want something small for no money... Seriously, if a plumber comes out to literally turn on a faucet, its $165. I'm not running around like a madwoman for $50 (or less, because you know they are going to cry about any amount.)

Artgunner

Good idea... another one, I use is to get them to tape their business card to the area for scaling. This way you have all contact information as well within the picture. I find most business cards are of a standard size.

Art

FireSprint.com

Trade Only Screen & Digital Sign Printing
Good idea... another one, I use is to get them to tape their business card to the area for scaling. This way you have all contact information as well within the picture. I find most business cards are of a standard size.

Art

That's a great idea!