• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

type of metal to use for framing

d hard

Hi. I landed a contract with Exxon to converter thier old gas price sign into a led price sigh. Im going to fabricate a frame and use tinted acrylic for the face.

My question is what type of sheet metal should i fabricate the frame out of and what type of paint should i use to paint the frame so it doesnt rust.

d hard

Im a fabricator-welder. I was going to make the frame out of u channels. One side the acrylic would be built in the other side would have a door with hinges. Im not worried about the fabrication part just what material i could use for frame and whats the best paiht to finish frame with.

Z SIGNS

Why not use one of the many alum extrusions that are available to the industry and fab it to suit the need ?
Self etch prime and paint with Matthews

d hard

I work in a sheet metal shop so im trying to keep cost down. Aluminum welding machines are expensive too. Unless you guys rivet them or something

Z SIGNS

A good place to start would be doing some research and educate yourself on sign fabrication technique.This might help http://www.signcomp.com/
Products like this make life in a sign shop so much easier.The cost of this stuff is more than it would be if you smithy it out of sheet metal but when you figure the labor of doing it any other way it's much cheaper.