• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

UCJV300 - Whats your technique for getting the captops out?

CarNate69

The service manual says to release the plastic hooks, I did this a year or so ago and releasing the hooks was seemingly super easy, as I don't remember fighting with it.

There is the hook in the front that I assume needs to be pushed down and in towards the printer to let the captop come upwards and out, am I doing this incorrectly or something? The plastic is so thick on the captop front hook that I can't get it pushed back far enough in that tight space to let it release.

Or am I supposed to be pushing super hard on the tab above the hook while not pushing down on the captop?

I'm missing something here, or they changed the thickness of the plastic.

netsol

i am wondering if you have chinese 3rd party captops that went in very easy, but, fight you trying to remove

CarNate69

These are OEM mimaki captops from an OEM supplier. Asking for the best technique without breaking something is all.

Dasdesignguy

Production Manager/Field Service Tech
Down right and up. Push down firmly on the cap, slide it to the right (it's only going to move a little) and lift straight up. It's going to feel a little snug but it will pop right out. Not gonna lie they can break easily so be careful. Also perform a cap alignment after each replacement or your head might start to dry out and color may start drying out and you will loose color.

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
They're pretty hard plastic. I'd use a small flat head screwdriver to get it out. You should be able to do one side at a time. I think the comments above have mistaken your UCJV300 for a CJV30 which is different.

CarNate69

So the technique here is to get a small, fine tipped screw driver that is flathead only. A normal, house repair version of a screw driver has a shaft that is too thick and the head is too wide to fit in the small channel. I used a 1/8" x 2.5" craftsman screw driver, made for repairing smaller items.

With the old captop installed, you'll notice you can push up and down on the captop, there are 2 springs under the captop allowing this springing to happen.

To get your bearings of the captop area, and while having really good light on the area, push the captop up and down. While looking directly in front of the captop, an inch or so below the rubber portion and behind the silver edge of the capping station, you'll see it clicks into a little clip in area on the capping station, it's like a 1/8" black bar, and there is a hook on the bottom of this bar that has to be released to get the captop out. By releasing this hook, the captop can lift off.

Above the clip-in bar area, it's a very small flat portion, a flexible tab, that you'll want to push down on the captop slightly with one hand (this releases the hook on the bar), while pushing on the flat front portion on the captop above the bar, then as you have pressure on the tab with your screwdriver, pull upwards slightly on the captop itself. So essentially what you're doing is you're pushing the tab backwards (away from hooking into the machine) as your pushing the captop down, and then by pulling up while having pressure on the tab, you're releasing the hook from catching again under the spring pressure that are under the cap tops. The front of the captop is now lifted, so take some fine tipped pliers and remove the springs that you can reach, there are 2, you don't want to lose these and they go on either way when you put them back.

The back will now be hooked in on the captop, do the same thing on the rear (blindly) pushing on the same flat portion as you did in the front, with some upward pressure, the captop will release.

Put the 2 springs back into place for each captop. With the new OEM captops, they come with a long hose and the instructions say to trim them, instead of this, I removed the factory, untrimmed long tube from the new captop, and then hooked the new captop into the existing tube in the printer, basically I skipped the step of replacing the tube. I left the Y Portion on the new captop, and hooked that little nippe into the existing hose. It takes a decent amount of wiggling to get the hose off of the new captop, but it's possible. I set the new parts that came with the new captop to the side if I need them later.