• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Ugh! New Brand Guide (RANT)

unclebun

Currently the courts are split on the issue of forcing changes to sign colors. Bobby is referencing a 9th Circuit ruling in the Blockbuster case. However two courts, including an appeals court, have upheld municipalities' right to restrict sign color in the 2nd Circuit. The Supreme Court has yet to take up the issue.

Signstein

So interesting - it makes me wonder which came first? If a big name company wanted to open shop in a historic district, I'm guessing they'd do their due diligence and research the ordinances beforehand. But what if a given town/area became a historic district - could they then retroactively impose restrictions on local businesses? In our case at least, I think the local orgs and the city are pretty level headed. We have a new Starbucks going in just outside of the main colonial area and it's in an old historic sorority house that's being reconstructed. It still has a normal (albeit smaller) Starbucks logo sign.

unclebun

The dark green is probably considered a historic color. I saw that in Sedona MCDonald's did the arches teal color on a reddish brown background to match the landscape.

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
90% of my business is to construction companies....and they mostly have the permits ready to go right before the sale of land closes. In fact, I have a set of construction signs with all the SW3P permits attached to it waiting for the land to close. All those things are figured out before they purchase. If new rules are written after signs have been installed, usually they are grandfathered in but I supposed it could be retroactive. You vote the city counsel in, you can talk to your representative and have the right to attend meetings if you feel a need.

Boudica

I'm here for Educational Purposes
So interesting - it makes me wonder which came first? If a big name company wanted to open shop in a historic district, I'm guessing they'd do their due diligence and research the ordinances beforehand. But what if a given town/area became a historic district - could they then retroactively impose restrictions on local businesses? In our case at least, I think the local orgs and the city are pretty level headed. We have a new Starbucks going in just outside of the main colonial area and it's in an old historic sorority house that's being reconstructed. It still has a normal (albeit smaller) Starbucks logo sign.
Now that I'm picturing a truly historic area, like colonial style, I can easily see why a bunch of garish signs all over would not be wanted, and prohibited. Especially if tourism is a factor. I would love to see the district you're in, and would hate to see a bunch of signs that wrecked the whole colonial ambiance thing.
...though, are regular street signs allowed, like for safety - stop signs etc? They would kind of stick out too.

JBurton

Signtologist
I would love to see the district you're in
No clue where OP really is, but it says williamsburg, so my guess was colonial. Here is a chase bank that was strong armed into having no lit signage, and they probably maxed out their square footage on everything. In this way, they can have a location, and nobody would be the wiser, it just looks like a friggin house. Note the stop sign and, gasp, a pole banner!
Just wait until some place like vegas tries to claim something is historic. Every time I'm there there's a different hotel being rebuilt after a full demo.
I'm a big fan of history, historical things, but not historic districts. Yeah, it was cool when it was built, sorry you missed it, but play time is over, you can't just pretend you didn't get some immigrant neighbors that bought up some property to put their stucco/mosque/spaceship themed house on.
1721759330598.png

Signstein

This is right at the edge of the shopping district so yes, Chase could use their branding for signage but was limited on square footage - and you guessed correct - no lit signage. We also still have the barricades leftover from lockdown when restaurants had all the outdoor dining. They actually kept that here (as I'm sure other places did as well). Another block and a half down the road it's all colonial houses.

2B

the local muni-code will overrule and dictate the color(s) that can be used by big companies.

Look at McDonald's, they have locations that have different colored arches depending on what the city allows