• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Ugly truck with stupid body lines..in my opinion

Jeff

2014 GMC Truck jpeg.jpg

This is the first one of these fine pieces of engineering marvels I've had the pleasure of lettering.

Who thought that these inverted body lines above the wheel openings were the way to go? Never mind that they look stupid, they are very helpful for the lettering process.

Then on top of that you deal with all these manufacturers seeing who can put the biggest emblem in the middle of the tailgate.

They really must not think about a person having these trucks lettered when they come up with this crap!

Ok then...I'll go crawl back under my rock. :rolleyes:

bulldozer

View attachment 100483

This is the first one of these fine pieces of engineering marvels I've had the pleasure of lettering.

Who thought that these inverted body lines above the wheel openings were the way to go? Never mind that they look stupid, they are very helpful for the lettering process.

Then on top of that you deal with all these manufacturers seeing who can put the biggest emblem in the middle of the tailgate.

They really must not think about a person having these trucks lettered when they come up with this crap!

Ok then...I'll go crawl back under my rock. :rolleyes:

we just did two of these. they wanted their logo dead center on the tailgate. HA!

Mosh

You must not do many trucks, this body style has been out a while. BTW the logo on these is real easy to remove.

Most of the ones around here have nice wheels and fender flairs and look pretty good.

peavey123

Chevy did that on purpose to stop silly sign people from putting bulleted lists that no one reads down the sides of the truck. lol So props to them.

bulldozer

You must not do many trucks, this body style has been out a while. BTW the logo on these is real easy to remove.

Most of the ones around here have nice wheels and fender flairs and look pretty good.

yea, we gave them that option. they weren't too excited about it.

shoresigns

It's not that bad. Trucks don't generally have a lot of usable space though. Just get the customer to take it in to the dealer and get the emblem removed from the doors. Big logo on the doors, small one on left or right side of the tailgate, and a big one on the hood. Done. You don't need anything along the sides of the box, as it will just distract from the main message (i.e. logo) on the doors.

Jeff

"You must not do many trucks, this body style has been out a while."

I'd like to think I do a fair amount of trucks, This body style is new for 2014. Perhaps because our town has a Chrysler plant I seem to do more Chrysler products.

"Chevy did that on purpose to stop silly sign people from putting bulleted lists that no one reads down the sides of the truck. lol So props to them."

"I don't give my customers options, this is exactly why."

I'd like to live in your guys perfect world...here the customers more and more are dictating the layouts...and not good ones.

"It's not that bad. Trucks don't generally have a lot of usable space though. Just get the customer to take it in to the dealer and get the emblem removed from the doors. Big logo on the doors, small one on left or right side of the tailgate, and a big one on the hood. Done. You don't need anything along the sides of the box, as it will just distract from the main message (i.e. logo) on the doors."

Again, when I suggest removing emblem most have a cow..."That will lower the resale value"

I have tried to steer this customer in a different direction, but this is what they want...more and more I just do it and cash the check.
2014 GMC left side layoutjpeg 7-17-14.jpg

d fleming

The one in the middle of the door is what cheeses my grits. I have a rather large pile of those suckers in a sac from all the removals. I charge and extra 75 bucks to pull those and clean/buff/polish the paint out to re-letter.

shoresigns

Again, when I suggest removing emblem most have a cow..."That will lower the resale value"
View attachment 100486
Wow. On a scale of one to trolling, this layout scores a solid 10.

1. Hierarchy? Nope. Just one font in random sizes.
  2. Whitespace does not mean "space that needs to be filled".
  3. Company name. Really? I bet there's a different "Renaissance Roofing" in every major city in North America. Good luck getting a good ranking on Google so your customers can find you after the truck whizzes by and they can't remember the URL that has nothing to do with the company name.
  4. Logo. The Parthenon is a symbol of ancient Greek architecture, not Renaissance. FFS just get paid and move on. I wouldn't want to deal with this customer. Pardon the rant.

Jeff

Wow. On a scale of one to trolling, this layout scores a solid 10.

1. Hierarchy? Nope. Just one font in random sizes.
  2. Whitespace does not mean "space that needs to be filled".
  3. Company name. Really? I bet there's a different "Renaissance Roofing" in every major city in North America. Good luck getting a good ranking on Google so your customers can find you after the truck whizzes by and they can't remember the URL that has nothing to do with the company name.
  4. Logo. The Parthenon is a symbol of ancient Greek architecture, not Renaissance. FFS just get paid and move on. I wouldn't want to deal with this customer. Pardon the rant.

You are right about this layout.

As I said...I could not steer them away from this, this is not my design or layout. I'm pretty confident that I can design/layout with the best of them, but just like these guys, everyone's thinks they're a designer. If I refuse to deal with customers like this...I may as well close my doors!

I know I'm not the only one in this business that has to deal with this more and more. If I don't take their money, some one else will!

CES020

If I don't take their money, some one else will!

Yeah, but then when someone says "Hey Man, who lettered your truck?", they won't say "My nephew designed it and Jeff installed it", they'll say "Jeff, he did a great job", and the person he's talking to will say "Well, I know who I don't want to design my trucks" to themselves.

That's your name that's going on it, so you own the work, like it or not.

Jeff

Yeah, but then when someone says "Hey Man, who lettered your truck?", they won't say "My nephew designed it and Jeff installed it", they'll say "Jeff, he did a great job", and the person he's talking to will say "Well, I know who I don't want to design my trucks" to themselves.

That's your name that's going on it, so you own the work, like it or not.

So you only do master pieces?

Have you looked around...crap is the new "Hey...that looks good"

I can't be the only one that does not do only A1 work everyday, all day long.

shoresigns

You are right about this layout.

As I said...I could not steer them away from this, this is not my design or layout. I'm pretty confident that I can design/layout with the best of them, but just like these guys, everyone's thinks they're a designer. If I refuse to deal with customers like this...I may as well close my doors!

I know I'm not the only one in this business that has to deal with this more and more. If I don't take their money, some one else will!

I would beg to differ on this. If you take bad clients, you will get more of the same. If you pick and choose good clients, you will start to get more and more good clients. Then, you'll enjoy your work more, the quality of your work will improve and clients will recognise it, and you'll start getting more jobs where you weren't the lowest bid. It sounds like a dream, but it's really quite simple.

CES020

So you only do master pieces?

Have you looked around...crap is the new "Hey...that looks good"

I can't be the only one that does not do only A1 work everyday, all day long.

I wouldn't say I only do master pieces, but I actually do turn down work because of the art work provided is horrific and I don't want our name associated with it. I turned down a fairly large project not long ago. I told them I wouldn't print it. They said "You can't, or you won't?". I said "I won't".

We're working with a customer right now that had a horrible design. We told him we wouldn't put our name on it. He said "Well, that's the way I want it done", and I said "Good luck, I wish you the best". I explained what we wanted to do for him, what it would look like, and he went a couple other places, came back and said no one else brought up any of the points we did, and he appreciated that we cared about his company image, where the other people that looked at it, just wanted the money. He signed on the dotted line, gave us 4 vehicles to wrap. He was in here today, looked at the proof we printed out and left super excited.

Does that happen all the time? No. Is it something to strive for? I think so. After years of going to seminars and readings things by people like Grandpa Dan and Dan Antonelli, I've seen the power of being able to pick and chose the work you want to do, and that's the direction we're heading. We're on baby step 1, but at least our compass is pointing in the right direction for us.

heyskull

That is nothing compared to the new Ford Transit Custom.
Even the lines you think are level are not!
It is as if the designers have made a car derived commercial vehicle.
The Transit Custom only looks good wrapped or with no graphics at all.
At least your truck has some sort of levelness!

SC

Attachments

• ford_transit_custom_1024x768^640x480^.jpg
    ford_transit_custom_1024x768^640x480^.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 117

SIGNTIME

yup the chevys are ugly when compaired to the fords and dodges but as far as hard to letter not hard at all