• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Uh ohh....

stmpc

Hey everyone.... I am looking for advise.... I've primarily been doing decals as a side business for about 3 years. My main market is ebay / amazon, but have done stuff outside of the online work. (company trucks, light signage, sports team decals etc).

As mentioned this was just something on the side, but had hoped it would turn into my main job. This past friday I was laid off from my day job, so now it's sink or swim time. That was my intention any way, but am not currently prepared. Website isn't up, fliers aren't made, etc.

I was looking for some tips as to how / where to drum up some quick (preferably repeat) business. I can make one ups all day long, but I'm worried about the winter, which is traditionally slow for me.

My thoughts were to get my cards and a flier of some sort to local marina's, Motorcycle dealerships, auto detail shops. Based on what I've read in the past here, I'm steering away from real estate companies.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
~Sean

TheSnowman

Word of mouth is the best advertising that you can do. Just do good work, use quality products and provide good customer service. If you are dealing w/ eBay and Amazon, you are probably dealing w/ the low ballers in the world, and people who just want to buy stuff for their cars that don't care how long it lasts, and you'll never hear from them again.

Since you are bascially wanting to start up in your own town, you have to start charging for what your services are really worth, and not worry about losing the tiny little decal jobs, and focus on the bigger jobs. However, if you use crap materials, these people can walk back to you and tell you they need it fixed, and it shouldn't have failed, or they will just tell everyone to not use "X" company. QUALITY QUALITY QUALITY...don't stoop to low levels to sell a cheap (cost) product...charge a little more, make it last...and everyone will have nothing but positive things to say about your company.

Pro Image

Dont for get contractors, electricians, HVAC, Paving, Garages, and Manufacturers in your area.......As for Real Estate go for it.......I don't have a problem getting my prices from the ones I deal with........just stick to your pricing.................

Craig Sjoquist

ya win some ya lose some ...well in this todays market everything has been turned up a notch or few... from job, money, human, and equipment market...you also need to turn it up, being a leader in your community is a slow process...but that's the way ya make a good living....
so acess what ya know, posess, and capable of ....then USE IT .....your in a SERVICE business ....priority one...prove it....you do fine

iSign

If you know you aren't really ready, & a slow season is on the horizon... I would look for a job, AND take all the great advice above. If you can find a job, you will be even more likely to make good business decisions on how to prepare the foundation of your business plan, for a successful launch in 2010!

Checkers

Building a solid client base with repeat business doesn't happen overnight. It takes time and effort.
If your "one-up" or once and done business is doing well, try to gain additional sales from these clients.
Overall, I think Doug and Tech offer the best advice, don't sell on price alone and put together a plan that will allow the business to grow in a profitable manner.

Checkers

stmpc

Thank you all for all the great advise!! I really appreciate it... I'm gonna go for it!! scary jump.... but hopefully in 5 years I can look back and say it was the best thing that could have happened.

Thanks again!
~Sean

G

gps-hi

I'm with isign on this, sink or swim is great if you can swim but the alternative isn't great. Find a job to pay the bills and start working up your own business on the side. You're not going to be able to focus on quality work if you're worrying about being able to eat and maintain a shelter over your head. When your side work starts to approach your regular job in pay then make the jump. Good luck either way.

RoyWraps

Making a living Signmaking?

If you don't risk it you won't ever know. If you rely on your income to pay your bills good luck. If you don't have cushion capital it's going to be hard.
One thing is for certain keep you credit score in good standing so if you decide to make a launch it will be there for expansion.

I wish you the best nothing negative just to say when I started I didn't even have money for gas.

It is a high return business so I really don't discourage you.

Bodyshops, dealerships, car lots, try these out

One more thing since you are starting out I recommend not to push away any business or detour yourself from it.

Always Remember it's not how people do business it's how we handle it.

(In no way shape or form do I mean to insult anyone just help out our member)
:rock-n-roll:

Kentucky Wraps

Kentucky Wraps
If you are doing single color....ATTACK the lawn care industry (yard signs)as far as you can reach while it's warm & they are wanting new clients. They usually don't pay for fancy full color stuff. You may even be able to get some vehicle signage jobs if you give them DIRT cheap prices (because you can't afford not to). And Summer Sport teams are up and coming, hit up as many team moms as you can with whatever networking you've got.
Best of Luck:wavingflag:

iceracer

Here in Toronto the government has a self employment benefits program, which I am currently enrolled.

In a snap shot, there is an intensive 10 week business training program with helpful subjects like; developing your company profile, marketing, sales, (really interesting was the math of sales), operations, finance etc. all of the really important basics. then they monitor you and give you sales targets and mentoring for year, along with a modest weekly living expense.

It is an investment in you as they know that if you are successful, they are going to be successful, because you'll be a source for tax revenue. :)

One of the topics they keep reinforcing is they do not not recommend the "penetration pricing model" ie; cheap as a business model. It is a really a tough way to do things and sets a precedent, that does not help in the long term. Besides, if you start out trying to undercut the market, you aggravate your competitors and if they are well established, they can probably hang on longer than you can. Pricing your work in and around your established competitors is where you should be.

Anyway, if a program like I've described is available, I'd strongly suggest you investigate it.

Here is a link to their site; http://www dot tbdc dot com/

Cheers.