• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

UJF-3042FX UV unit overheat problem and water lack problem

misterprint

Hi guys,
I have been using a second handed UJF-3042FX for a year (2 year-old in total). last week it stopped suddenly showing that the UV unit was overheat and I switched off the machine. It comes again when I start over the printing jobs.

1 week after, the same problem occurred and it comes with 'water lack" error code when the the tank is full of anti freeze liquid. Now the machine has totally stopped.
I contacted the distributor and they told me I will need to change a few parts for USD$6400. I feel very frustrated coz I even am not sure if the problem can be solved.

Anyone has experienced the same stuff and how the problem is solved? Thanks in advance.

Peter

rjssigns

No experience with your machine although I spent 26 years building industrial paper machinery. Check the pump for output first. Then check the sensors within the cooling loop. Simple fix is either a pump or sensor(s). Whole new issue if there is a driver board controlling function.
Other than that I would have to see the machine.

misterprint

Thank you very much for your comment
ideally I will ask a technician to visit workshop for testing.
hope the most expensive parts do not need to change.
And anybody have an idea about the working life of the UV LED unit
the distributor said a 2 year old LED is old enough to change. Any comment other than that??

misterprint

Oh my god, the distributor asked for USD$250 for only the maintenance fee (i am afraid it is only a look at the machine). I decide to change the liquid again and check if the pump work properly. I will report you guys after this check. Wish me luck.

misterprint

Thank God!! I solve the water lack problem by changing the anti freeze again. After that I tried print once but the machine still stop because of UV unit overheat. I wait a while between printing each layer and finally i can finish my printing jobs.
The print head comes with a recover system that let you continue your printing jobs even the printing head is partially clogged. It is quite ridiculous that the whole machine will totally stop because of the anti freeze liquid. (well, I know this is to protect the UV lamp though)

I am quite sure that the distributor will at least ask me to replace the UV curing device at about USD$3000 if they come to see my machine. I realize that we may just need to stick to the KISS approach and everything would come much easier.

Peter

rjssigns

Glad to hear things are working. And you are right about the KISS method. Always check the simple stuff first.

Tekkie1

Tekkie of Many Things
Thank God!! I solve the water lack problem by changing the anti freeze again. After that I tried print once but the machine still stop because of UV unit overheat. I wait a while between printing each layer and finally i can finish my printing jobs.
The print head comes with a recover system that let you continue your printing jobs even the printing head is partially clogged. It is quite ridiculous that the whole machine will totally stop because of the anti freeze liquid. (well, I know this is to protect the UV lamp though)

I am quite sure that the distributor will at least ask me to replace the UV curing device at about USD$3000 if they come to see my machine. I realize that we may just need to stick to the KISS approach and everything would come much easier.

Peter

Peter the anitfeeze and the distilled water are there to maintain a constant temperature on the heads., nothing to do with the uv assy, if you are having overheating with uv then something else is wrong as the uv assy is LED, I would be checking any fans for cooling that may be blocked or have blocked filters.
one more thing, dont get the antifreeweze water mix wrong or the water will never get to the right temperature and therefore it will also not work as there is a sensor on the heads to tell the main board that I have reached the correct temperature and now I can print.
Tekkie1

misterprint

Peter the anitfeeze and the distilled water are there to maintain a constant temperature on the heads., nothing to do with the uv assy, if you are having overheating with uv then something else is wrong as the uv assy is LED, I would be checking any fans for cooling that may be blocked or have blocked filters.
one more thing, dont get the antifreeweze water mix wrong or the water will never get to the right temperature and therefore it will also not work as there is a sensor on the heads to tell the main board that I have reached the correct temperature and now I can print.
Tekkie1

Tekkie,
It sounds not very convincing as the pipe from the water tank links to the UV lamp. And you can find in the USER MANUAL that "When only water is supplied to the cooling water tank without antifreeze liquid, it may damage the UV
unit by freeze." I am quite sure the anti freeze liquid are for the UV lamp. Anyway thanks for your sharing and hope ours machine will be healthy all the way.

Peter

uvgerard

Water cooled UV LED

Hi guys,
I have been using a second handed UJF-3042FX for a year (2 year-old in total). last week it stopped suddenly showing that the UV unit was overheat and I switched off the machine. It comes again when I start over the printing jobs.

1 week after, the same problem occurred and it comes with 'water lack" error code when the the tank is full of anti freeze liquid. Now the machine has totally stopped.
I contacted the distributor and they told me I will need to change a few parts for USD$6400. I feel very frustrated coz I even am not sure if the problem can be solved.

Anyone has experienced the same stuff and how the problem is solved? Thanks in advance.

Peter

I am not familiar with your particular machine however UV LED operation requires a strict temperature profile. Some companies use an air-cooled heat sink while higher powered LEDs require water cooling.
Excess temperature causes UV LED to overheat and fail hence the need for a temperature limit switch. You need to determine if your pump is actually circulating water. You may have some sort of heat exchanger to maintain constant fluid temperature. This is why you might start off working but as fluid temperature rises the limit switch on your cooling fluid opens and the machine shuts off. Check your manual there may be some sort of cooling schematic listing the major components in your system.
Gerard