• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

UJF-6042HG Alignment help

OneTrickPony

Greetings and thanks for allowing me to join the site!

I am hoping I can get some technical insight into some issues I'm having with a UJF-6042HG (the pre MKII version). I replaced 2 printheads and during that process, the long screw that holds the head onto the carriage snapped off. I drilled the 3mm screw by making a fixture to precisely drill through the center but unfortunately, the EZ Out broke. In trying to get that out, I snapped the ear off that the threads are in, so I had to order a new holder for the printhead. I assumed it would be out of alignment when I got it back running.

However I'm having a couple issues. I'll try to give an overview.

Head 1 - Magenta/Cyan (this is the holder and the head that was replaced.
Head 2 - Yellow/Black
Head 3 - Clear/Primer (head replaced)
Head 4 - White/White.

New dampers installed on all 4 heads.

I went into #adjust and #head ID and entered the voltage for the new heads, went to #voltage adjust and everything looks lined up really well.

Next, I printed the #slant adjust patterns and all I get is one straight vertical line of dots. I assume that's what it's supposed to look like, but the service manual shows 2 rows and you're tuning it into 1 row? Mine, without any tuning is just 1 straight row of dots (not "1" row, it's a series of them, but all of them are perfectly aligned. I printed pattern 1 and pattern 2 for the horizontal alignment and all I see is all the colors stacked on top of one horizontal line, assuming that's what it's supposed to be?

I went through the #print adjust section and fine tuned everything to where everything is dialed in really really well.

I also installed a new encoder strip and encoder sensor.

The problem I'm having is if I take 1" tall text and print several of the same thing, vertically, in the Y0"-Y2-3" range, the text is really sharp. As it works back across the table, maybe 6" up the table, you start to see a little fuzziness come into the edges. A customer probably wouldn't notice it, but I can see it and I'd like to fix it.

The second problem is if I print color and white on top of it, in the Y 0 area, it's a pixel for pixel match. In my example, I printed 3 shapes, about 4" x 4", all in a horizontal row. #1 is close to X0,Y0, #2 is to the left of that, and #3 to the left of that. At the base of them all, the white is perfect. At the top of each, the white is mismatched with the color and it's different on every piece. #1 is off by maybe 2-3 pixels, #2 is off by about 10 pixels, and #3 is about the same as #1, off by maybe 2 pixels.

Those are the two things I'm trying to resolve, 1) fuzzy as it goes up in Y, and 2) mismatch in white across different objects in the same print file.

I've been through the manual dozens of times and I can't figure out what I'm missing or what I did wrong. I also spend some time checking and leveling the table and checking the head gap. The table was out of level about .020", now it's within .002" and the head gap seems perfect, all the way around and matches the value in the settings.

Any suggestions on where to look or what I'm missing? I've spent dozens of hours looking through a loupe and I'm ready to wrap this thing up.

OneTrickPony

I'll also add that I have all the covers still off, the top cover on the carriage, the front cover on the carriage, and the main covers and guards. I say that in case it is an issue and causing some air currents or something. Just trying not to leave out any details that might not be obvious to me.

OneTrickPony

You can see the right side of the A and M have a mismatch in the color, while the R underneath it doesn't have that same level of mismatch.

Screen Shot 2023-04-06 at 2.42.29 PM.jpg

Tatonka

did you make sure to check the level of the printer itself? I had that cause a similar issue not too long ago.