Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

UltraFlexx 13oz getting thinner?

Discussion in 'Digital Printing' started by Jack Knight1979, Jul 18, 2012.

1. Jack Knight1979

Jack Knight1979 Very Active Member

Jan 23, 2008
    Maine
    I've notice that around the beginning of the year UltraFlexx 13oz if feeling for like a 8oz material

I've called UltraFlexx to see what's up and they addressed my complaint as a bad roll. It happens. I moved on.

Now over half way into the year I'm getting more thin rolls than thicker ones. My customers have begun asking me why I switched my banner material. I'm fired up now. When my customers are asking about the thin materials, I feel like I need to make a switch.

I've used UltraFlexx exclusively for six years with no problems, but I can't sell a 13oz banner on what feels like less than 10oz.

Anyone else notice a huge difference in the gauge of UltraFlexx vinyl lately?

Tags:
  2. CS-SignSupply-TT

CS-SignSupply-TT Very Active Member

May 31, 2011
    Jack, it seems, according to recent signs101 posts, UltraFlexx is not an isolated situation. I recall similar posts for Grimco's BRITELINE banner

3. genericname

genericname Active Member

Feb 27, 2009
    Canada
    First Grimco, then Ferrari, and now UltraFlexx? What the hell is going on with QA in this industry?

4. Jack Knight1979

Jan 23, 2008
    Maine
    I hope that the powers that be see this and make some corrections. I won't buy substandard products. Not to mention, they can't sell 13oz material that is actually 8 ounces.

5. ProWraps

ProWraps Very Active Member

Sep 30, 2009
    probably the same materials. grimco doesnt make their own banner materials and i know their key banner materials is ultraflexx.

6. Hog Wild graphics

Hog Wild graphics Member

Apr 2, 2011
    texas
    We sometimes use star banner 13oz matte and I noticed that the last few rolls feel thinner also. I asked my supplier and they said nothing has changed.

7. Typestries

Typestries Very Active Member

Jan 8, 2007
    NJ | VT
    There really are not that many coated vinyl plants overseas. And with it coming by the container load, it's a you get what you get kind of situation. Exactly why, although we have the ability to buy container loads, we do not. I'll pay a few pennies more a square by the pallet and if there's an issue with a roll, we just send it back.

More times than not lately, there have been mid roll defects in our stream of ultraflexx causing jams, head strikes, and toasted heads.

We tried the pitman stuff as an alternative, and it's awful.

Until someone overseas starts caring (as a result of the big boys here *****ing enough) things won't change. A 5-7¢ margin psf in the quantities they are moving adds up to big money, and they really should start caring more. Sadly, that won't happen until all of us start *****ing.

Another reason why I love this place. So when our reps say "nothing has changed" I'm armed with the info I need to call BS.

8. bob

bob Major Contributor

Nov 4, 2005
    earth
    The 13 ounce rating means that's the weight of a square yard of the material. The only way to determine of the material is sub-standard is to actually weigh a square yard of it. If it weighs 13 ounces then it's exactly as advertised. If not, then...

While thickness might be indicative of weight, it's not weight. Weight is weight.

9. Suz

Suz Very Active Member

Apr 9, 2010
    The Great Northwest
    Hmmm, Hope we don't have to buy 15 oz to get something comparable to 13 oz!!! I'll be a "b-with an itch" if that happens.:omg:

10. Salmoneye

Salmoneye Very Active Member

Oct 22, 2009
    Do What bob said and report back your findings.

11. Suz

Suz Very Active Member

Apr 9, 2010
    The Great Northwest

Salmoneye, yep! Gonna do that when I replenish the banner.

12. Jack Knight1979

Jan 23, 2008
    Maine
    There's no question that if the material is thinner it will weigh less.
    I doubt they are putting lead in the scrim to bulk up the weight on the thinner stuff.

13. Salmoneye

Salmoneye Very Active Member

Oct 22, 2009
    No they are not putting lead in it; it could however be denser than other material and therefore thinner. They are not selling by guage or mic thickness but by weight. If it doesn't add up or there is a number that you can correspond to other rolls you now have information to go to your distributor/rep/ultra with.

14. Jack Knight1979

Jan 23, 2008
    Maine
    I've wanted to weigh some of this thin material, but I don't have a sensitive enough scale at such low weight.

My wife may have one at the house that would work.

15. dypinc

dypinc Very Active Member

Mar 9, 2011
    Here
    Not sure what is going on with Ultraflex. I got a bad roll of Pole Banner Pro last week. Ink coalescing all over the place. Couldn't get anything like a decent print on it. Nothing like the previous roll I had.

16. guitarguy69

guitarguy69 Member

Feb 12, 2010
    Kansas
    Noticed about one year ago a pallet of material fit this description. I did weigh it and it still came to 13 ounce, but had a noticably different fell and appearance. Grimco Key banner material may be super similar to Ultra-Flex Jetflex, but is slightly different in color. I bet it's from the same factory, maybe with a slightly different formulation. I have seen issues with both of those materials, then again I burn through over 1,000,000 square foot of the stuff per year.

I even sourced a Chinese made product that we receive by the container load, and have had pretty good luck with.

Bottom line, all materials will have bad batches. Hope you guys are fortunate enough to avaiod them.

17. shoresigns

shoresigns Very Active Member

Nov 1, 2011
    Vancouver, BC
    You don't need a very sensitive scale if you learn some basic math and weigh the whole roll :Big Laugh

18. Jack Knight1979

Jan 23, 2008
    Maine
    um yeah.

A) this thread is from 2012, buddy.
    B) much easier and more accurate to weigh a square yard, compared to an entire roll. at least with the scale I have here.

:thumb:

19. Biker Scout

Biker Scout Very Active Member

Jan 24, 2008
    Las Vegas
    Well, since it's a year old, how about an update on the banner material, and if you've switched or not.