• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

unattended printing

Wraps ink

I'm looking to add another printer to the fleet. What is the best printer that is dependable and can do long unattended runs?

jtinker

Owner
roland re-640

This macjine is our workhorse. Almost two years since we got it, not a single breakdown and runs all day, every day. We've left prints overnight and come back confident the job will be done.

I'm looking to add another printer to the fleet. What is the best printer that is dependable and can do long unattended runs?

I would say that the primary considerations for unattended print runs should include:

1. Large ink capacity.
2. Reliable take-up reel system
3. Ability to easily and remotely monitor the printers activity from a smartphone or tablet (IOS or Andriod), and obtain near real-time information about the machine and it's status.

Based on those criteria, I would look at the HP Latex 360. HP announced a mobile phone app at SGIA in October, which will include very robust functionality for remote printer monitoring. Specific functions including:

- real-time ink level monitoring
- what jobs have printed
- Ink usage breakdowns for the jobs that have printed
- What the printer is doing now (shows the job that is currently printing)
- Notifications (ink low warnings, paper jam, media low etc)
- Status of other consumables in the printer (heads, maintenance cart etc.)
- Remaining length on the roll (assuming that the media length tracking is enabled)

This Latex App is scheduled to deliver in mid-January. Here is a page containing a video with more information on the mobile app (scroll down the page to locate the video):

http://h20435.www2.hp.com/t5/ideas/v1/ideaexchangepage/blog-id/Videos/page/2

Last edited:
I would say that the primary considerations for unattended print runs should include:

1. Large ink capacity.
2. High capacity take-up system
3. Ability to easily and remotely monitor the printers activity from a smartphone or tablet (IOS or Andriod), and obtain near real-time information about the machine and it's status.

Based on those criteria, I would look at the HP Latex 360. HP announced a mobile phone app at SGIA in October, which will include very robust functionality for remote printer monitoring. Specific functions including:

- real-time ink level monitoring
- what jobs have printed
- What job is currently printing
- Notifications (ink low warnings, paper jam, media low etc)
- Status of other consumables in the printer (heads, maintenance cart etc.
- Remaining length on the roll (assuming that the media length tracking is enabled)

This Latex App is scheduled to ship in mid-January. Here is a page containing a video with more information on the mobile app:

http://h20435.www2.hp.com/t5/ideas/v1/ideaexchangepage/blog-id/Videos/page/2

+1+1+1+1+1 But you have to pick what you want to print unattended. white vinyl no problem. But I wouldn't do full roll of HIP without being there. Too thick.

SightLine

║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█
+1+1+1+1+1 But you have to pick what you want to print unattended. white vinyl no problem. But I wouldn't do full roll of HIP without being there. Too thick.

Also some RIP's allow you to monitor and even send jobs remotely like Flexi. Aside from that I have one of our security cameras that can see ours (but I've never had a reason to actually need to look at it so I never do when we leave it printing). Our Mimaki JV33 runs overnight unattended a lot. Literally put a brand new roll of 3M on it, make sure ink levels are good (we have a 2 liter per color bulk system), and send jobs to print overnight. One in particular is wraps for city buses - on one particular style bus I print both sides and the rear and it uses all but about 4 feet of a full roll. Do those a good bit - nice to come in to a full printed roll in the morning.