• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Undefined Media

Brian M

Hi,

My company has a Mutoh ValueJet 1638. When I go to set up a media type it just automatically gives me the "Undefined Media" error without even bothering to measure the media thickness or width.

Any idea on how to remedy this?

Thanks

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
Did this just happen out of the blue? Are you using clear material by chance? It basically means the sensor that detects whether there is material in the machine or not is not detecting properly. Usually it's because there is light getting into the sensor but sometimes it needs to be adjusted.

Brian M

I adjusted the material a few positions and it still happened. It did start happening out of the blue. I've tried setting up rigid material, white corrugated plastic and white cardboard material. Both opaque. How do I adjust the sensor?

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
I adjusted the material a few positions and it still happened. It did start happening out of the blue. I've tried setting up rigid material, white corrugated plastic and white cardboard material. Both opaque. How do I adjust the sensor?

That machine is not made to print rigid material which is probably the issue. Normally the vinyl will wrap around the platen and cover that sensor. The rigid material doesn't wrap around it so light gets in and trips the sensor. The materials you are using are simply too thick for that machine.

Brian M

That machine is not made to print rigid material which is probably the issue.

Are you sure about this? The ValueJet 1368 has a setting for rigid or roll and we've been advised that the maximum thickness is much larger than the corrugated material that we use.
We have had the printer for a few years and up until now it's printed on rigid material perfectly. So I'm thinking there's a larger issue here.

Anyways, I've also been advised that the sensor on the head may have been covered with too much ink so cleaning it might help, but I'm not exactly sure where the sensor is on the head. Does anyone have a general idea of where it is located on the head? The answer to this is a lot harder to find online than I had anticipated.

Thanks for your help.
Brian M

iPrintStuff

Prints stuff
Are you sure about this? The ValueJet 1368 has a setting for rigid or roll and we've been advised that the maximum thickness is much larger than the corrugated material that we use.
We have had the printer for a few years and up until now it's printed on rigid material perfectly. So I'm thinking there's a larger issue here.

Anyways, I've also been advised that the sensor on the head may have been covered with too much ink so cleaning it might help, but I'm not exactly sure where the sensor is on the head. Does anyone have a general idea of where it is located on the head? The answer to this is a lot harder to find online than I had anticipated.

Thanks for your help.
Brian M

can I see a video of it printing on rigid material please

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
Are you sure about this?
Brian M

Oh you must have the VJ1638UH. That's a hybrid printer that does print on rigid. You can adjust the sensor by going into service mode. Hold the up, right and down buttons while powering on. Once it boots up, go to the adjustment menu. There will be an option in there to calibrate the Rear/Edge Sensor. Enter that menu and follow the prompts. It adjusts automatically but you do have to load material and unload at certain points.

Brian M

Oh you must have the VJ1638UH. That's a hybrid printer that does print on rigid. You can adjust the sensor by going into service mode. Hold the up, right and down buttons while powering on. Once it boots up, go to the adjustment menu. There will be an option in there to calibrate the Rear/Edge Sensor. Enter that menu and follow the prompts. It adjusts automatically but you do have to load material and unload at certain points.

Ah yes. I didn't think the UH part of Valuejet 1638UH was important.
That is a great tip about the powering on menu, but do you happen to know what the menu option is? So far I tried Check 1: Adj Headgap -> Adj. Type [Sensor] -> but then it says Gap Adjust Failed. Were you thinking of another menu option?

can I see a video of it printing on rigid material please

Unfortunately since I can't set up any media right now I can't print at the moment.

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
That is a great tip about the powering on menu, but do you happen to know what the menu option is?

You want to look for the "Check 5: Adjustment" menu a few menus down.

henryp

That is a great tip about the powering on menu, but do you happen to know what the menu option is? So far I tried Check 1: Adj Headgap -> Adj. Type [Sensor] -> but then it says Gap Adjust Failed. Were you thinking of another menu option?

Unfortunately since I can't set up any media right now I can't print at the moment.

Please see attached screenshots

Attachments

• ice_screenshot_20200306-090834.png
    ice_screenshot_20200306-090834.png
    247.4 KB · Views: 248
  • ice_screenshot_20200306-090852.png
    ice_screenshot_20200306-090852.png
    206.8 KB · Views: 242

Brian M

These are great tips, but when I go to do a Rear/Edge Sensor Adjustment I hit a roadblock when it tells me to set the media. The problem has been that the machine won't let me set any media without giving me the "Undefined Media" message and I guess that doesn't change despite being in a different menu.

The sensor might simply be broken...

henryp

These are great tips, but when I go to do a Rear/Edge Sensor Adjustment I hit a roadblock when it tells me to set the media. The problem has been that the machine won't let me set any media without giving me the "Undefined Media" message and I guess that doesn't change despite being in a different menu.

The sensor might simply be broken...

You can test the functionality of the sensor under the Sensor Menu number 9 inside the Test Menu, see attached screenshot

Attachments

• ice_screenshot_20200309-104418.png
    ice_screenshot_20200309-104418.png
    218.8 KB · Views: 238

Brian M

You can test the functionality of the sensor under the Sensor Menu number 9 inside the Test Menu, see attached screenshot

Are you talking about the Media Rear [P_REAR Sensor] menu option? The Media Rear setting is on 242 and the Edge AD setting is on 5. I can't seem to change either of those. Are those numbers what they should be or do those numbers indicate a problem?

Thanks,
Brian M

henryp

Are you talking about the Media Rear [P_REAR Sensor] menu option? The Media Rear setting is on 242 and the Edge AD setting is on 5. I can't seem to change either of those. Are those numbers what they should be or do those numbers indicate a problem?

Thanks,
Brian M

Run the test with and without media covering the sensor, you should see a huge swing on the readings. If you don't, the sensor is faulty.