• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

unethical vendors

Robert M

Oracal

If the vendor in question is an Oracal dealer, report him to Oracal. My contarct with them requires we do no production work.

John L

Flip that rock over man. Name them.

...just read to PM, and thats a good idea, sorry.

Last edited:

Hzone15

Insignia:

It's terrible that your dealer chose to go down that path. I do not disagree with a dealer also offering printing services, but at competitive pricing. If I am correct the reseller in question is printing mostly with HP Products. If that is the case I can tell you that HP offers such a small discount when purchasing demo equipment that dealers are forced to offer some sort of PFP printing services since they are required to have demo equipment on the floor.

I just can't believe they are reselling for .49 cents a sq. ft. Again if I am thinking of the correct dealer they are printing with the FB 950. That printer averages .15 cents a sq. ft for ink, plus materials and labor, it seems they are losing money. Is it possible that the pricing you were given was accurate.

Good Luck
H

Letterbox Mike

It's accurate. I found out from another vendor (and former employer) that more than likely they'll be running the posters on 20lb bond on an engineering inkjet, so it makes me feel a little better than we're not comparing apples and apples. I'm not sure if my client is aware they'll be getting a substandard product, and we'll definitely make them aware, but in the end it doesn't matter. If anything, them selling a low-end product at stupid prices only serves to hurt the industry more...

Hzone15, I believe you do know who I'm talking about. To be honest, if they want to be a print for pay shop, I have absolutely no problem with that at all, even if it is in violation of vendor agreements. But they should do it at a competitive level so everyone else can compete. They've been a pfp shop locally for years, but only recently have they stooped to this level and only recently have they been aggressively targeting wide format color clients.

Hzone15

Correct, I knew they did quite a bit in the CAD world, and very little into Color. I would say within the last 3 years they started to get more and more Digital accounts.

They have had quite a bit of Change over and wonder if that has something to do with it.

H

DigiWriter

Engineering Inkjet

they'll be running the posters on 20lb bond on an engineering inkjet, so it makes me feel a little better than we're not comparing apples and apples. I'm not sure if my client is aware they'll be getting a substandard product, and we'll definitely make them aware, but in the end it doesn't matter. If anything, them selling a low-end product at stupid prices only serves to hurt the industry more...

Not to steal the thread, but you should see what we are printing on our "engineering inkjet". We've printed alot of gorgeous stuff.

JR's

The whole thing stinks. This company has relied on other businesses like Mike's to build their business over the years. Things are hard enough right now without having to fight your vendor to keep your own customers.

Sheesh.

:rock-n-roll:

Name and shame!

I want to know who not to buy supplies from.

:rock-n-roll:

JR

Letterbox Mike

They've been a supplier to the color segment for years. We bought our first printer, an Encad Novajet Pro, years and years ago when that was state of the art. This was back when they were in a 3000s.f. warehouse. If you've seen their facility now you know it's a far cry from that and fairly state of the art...

My current ink supplier was started about a year ago by two of their salespeople, one of their techs eventually went to work for them too. I wondered why they left but I never really asked, I figured it was none of my business. I finally asked them what's up over there and they said that's why they left, they knew it was coming, and they said that's why they're having such high turnover there from other salespeople too.