• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Unicorn Material - What is it?

JTBoh

I sell signage and signage accessories.
When I first started in signs ~10 years ago, we had a sheet of 1/4" material that was a rigid PVC. I.E. it didn't bend, and would snap if you tried. It is harder than PVC, and has a very flat surface

I haven't seen any since.

Now, have a customer with that same material and needs it V-carved.

I remember that I looked over specs for Komacel, Komatex, Sintra, etc. and just can't recall which one this is.

eahicks

Magna Cum Laude - School of Hard Knocks
That's probably Type 1 PVC. I believe it is much more rigid (due to less foam expansion in manufacturing). Somewhere between normal expanded PVC and PVC pipe.

ChrisN

I think 6mm Komacel (glossy surface) is fairly rigid. It's a lot more rigid than Palight 6mm, from what I recall.

AKwrapguy

We have a material we call Aconyl, it's a PVC. It's rigid, and will snap but only in one direction... also super cheap.

Johnny Best

There is type l and type lol pvc, if I remember right, type ll is use for bathroom walls and has a smooth surface and harder, not foam cell like sign companies use. It holds up better from chemicals and more of a solid material. Do not remember it breaking easily.

JTBoh

I sell signage and signage accessories.
Thanks for responses.

6mm, It has the rigidity of PVC pipe... looks like we have some disagreement on whether it is type 1 or type 2.

Anyone have a brand name I can spec since we'll be outsourcing?

It's definitely not colorcore.

Image shows edge, as well as routed 1/8 deep letter. You can see why we're replacing lol.

Attachments

• PVC.jpg
    PVC.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 140

eahicks

Magna Cum Laude - School of Hard Knocks
Thanks for responses.

6mm, It has the rigidity of PVC pipe... looks like we have some disagreement on whether it is type 1 or type 2.

Anyone have a brand name I can spec since we'll be outsourcing?

It's definitely not colorcore.

Image shows edge, as well as routed 1/8 deep letter. You can see why we're replacing lol.
It may be Type II actually....I think it is denser than Type I

ChrisN

Sure looks like solid PVC. The glossy face foamed pvc doesn't like that inside, not even the 6mm sheets.

You might want to look KOMADUR PVC from Kommerling. It's a Type I PVC and I don't think it's foamed. (I haven't actually seen a physical sample of it though.)

FWIW, I found this on the difference between Type I & II PVC: http://www.plasticsintl.com/pvc.htm
PVC Type 1 sheet is a very commonly used thermoplastic sheet. PVC is typically well known for resistance to flame, electrical, water, chemical, and abrasion in various applications. PVC sheet comes in various grades: Type 1 (most common, general purpose), Type 2 (more impact resistant than Type 1) for complex fabrication, and foamed PVC (lighter weight) for signage applications. PVC generally is used in various application where it’s combination of properties solve a variety of challenges for machined parts.