Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Unimportant question but want opinions

Discussion in 'Designs & Layouts' started by ericmitchell29, Apr 26, 2010.

1. ericmitchell29

ericmitchell29 Active Member

Mar 18, 2008
    Maine
    I painted my shop truck flat black, don't want to sink alot into it because its probably only going to last another year or 2 but decided to put some vinyl on it.

Anyway, Should I paint the rims red or black?
    I did a quick design to go on the doors.

Thanks
    Eric

Attached Files:

Tags:
  2. Pro Image

Pro Image Major Contributor

Nov 28, 2005
    Black for sure...........

3. skyhigh

skyhigh Major Contributor

Jun 16, 2005
    PA
    I'd go with black!!! The flat black paint job should look cool....and the doors look good too.

If you paint the wheels red....well, lets just say I don't think that will look too professional.

Attached Files:

4. insignia

insignia Very Active Member

Personally I'd go with gloss red wheels and gloss red pinstripes. Classic!

5. ericmitchell29

Mar 18, 2008
    Maine
    haha. thats funny. But how did you get that picture of me? Seriously?

I was thinking red because of the old rat rods from way back.
    I have the chrome inset on each wheel so it would offset the red a bit.

Blacks cool too.
    thanks Eric

6. signmeup

signmeup Major Contributor

May 5, 2005
    Canada
    Dark gray.

7. Artgunner

Artgunner Member

Feb 7, 2008
    Concord
    I think it needs more of something that will underscore your company name. Not saying to complicate but a design that will turn heads keeping with the theme you desire.

Art

8. TheSellOut

TheSellOut Very Active Member

Feb 8, 2008
    +1

9. ericmitchell29

Mar 18, 2008
    Maine
    I'm thinking about going with the gloss red, chrome center and actually doing a white wall tire.

I dunno, It'll probably get done 2 years from now... I never make enough time to promote my own business with my vehicles. I know everyone probably has that issue to some degree.

10. Gino

Gino Premium Subscriber

Jun 7, 2006
    PA
    Yeah, something I always wanted to do was make my vehicle look *****in'..... and then highlight the living crap out of the wheels and tires. Yep, make them the focal point of the vehicle. That's the ticket, I'm sure you'll get alot of business out of displaying wheels and tires. Better consider putting some wheels and tires in your front window, so people can choose better.

Wheels and tires can have a nice look or whatever, but why make them the featured part of the vehicle ?? They should be understated elegance and charm.... not the first thing you see from across the street.

11. ericmitchell29

Mar 18, 2008
    Maine
    Hahaha Gino, In the words of the two little Italian cars on the Disney Movie Cars.... You don't know what you want. Black wall blend in... white wall say Look at me. haha.

I'm just messing around, but, in all honesty, I love the old school look. And trust me... I would rather have people looking at the wheels over looking at the truck... its just not that much of a prize.

12. insignia

insignia Very Active Member

I don't know guys, I know it's not everyone's taste, but it's got a certain look to it...

Attached Files:

13. Gino

Gino Premium Subscriber

Jun 7, 2006
    PA
    Ah, yes insig.... if you have something worth displaying then by all means its a must and some flames might help, too. If you have something worthwhile of a subject matter, then I agree, but an old pickup that has a year or so life in it.... doesn't sound like a likely candidate in my opinion. Especially, it you're a sign shop where image is what you do for a living and not about promoting crap.

14. signmeup

signmeup Major Contributor

May 5, 2005
    Canada
    Love wide whitewalls on the bug. Do that!

15. ddarlak

ddarlak Trump Hater

mr tangent,

the point of the thread was about the color of his wheels, not if you deem it necessary to spruce up his heap....

he did say it was an unimportant question....

16. GypsyGraphics

GypsyGraphics Major Contributor

Mar 19, 2009
    Love that bug! And the wheels niiiiiiice!

17. TheSnowman

TheSnowman Major Contributor

Aug 28, 2007
    Indiana
    I'd go with something chrome. But that's just me, and personal opinion. I have never been a fan of any colored rims.

18. ericmitchell29

Mar 18, 2008
    Maine
    Awesome.... alright ... I'll try to kill this thread before it gets out of hand... haha. Truck isn't a show winner, I don't want to appear that I am making it into one therefore I was going with the rat rod look. If I put a wrap on this to promote my business people would question my sanity, so I wanted to have some fun with it while it was still running. Its not the flagship of my business, its just a grocery getter and cardboard scrap transporter to the local recycling station.

I get what your saying Gino, but you gotta understand where i was coming from, which I think you do.

I'll post some pictures if I can get it done this week.
    thanks all
    Eric

19. Marlene

Marlene Major Contributor

Jun 8, 2004
    Vermont
    liked the dark gray idea. instead of the red in the graphic, why not do it all in shades of gray?

20. Gino

Gino Premium Subscriber

Jun 7, 2006
    PA
    Oh, I get it eric and don't get me wrong..... such as mrs Tangent has...... I have the same predicament with our truck. It's a 1984 Ford and has seen better days, so I try to not make it noticeable on any level. Any of the people here at the mixer last year can attest to that.....

When you think outside of the box and address things that maybe you didn't think of.... it represents others trying to help you and possibly make an observation others might not have thought of, but if you stick with the question at hand sometimes things go stagnant and I didn't want to see that happen for you.

Our old 'Freddie' has done wonders for us over the years and I haven't paid a car payment in over 20 years on it, so I keep it going the best I can. Kinda sentimental feeling going on there.

I guess if I were to put killer wheels and tires on Freddie, we'd think about giving him a facelift at the same time and then sprucing him up all over.

Start with the bottom and work your way up. :thumb:

21. ddarlak

ddarlak Trump Hater

that's the spirit.... try and stay focused....

22. Rooster

Rooster Very Active Member

Feb 22, 2008
    Edmonton
    That rat rod look is in and could look killer as well as garner a lot of "good"
    attention, despite what some here may tell you.

If you can spruce up an old vehicle with a set of wheels, a few cans of rattle-can black and some really nicely done pinstriping you'll have a unique vehicle that stands out. Plus it works into the budget nicely.

Go for it and remember to post up pics when you're done.