• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Union/Political Print Shop?

grafixemporium

Does anyone have any insight on the requirements, in any, for shops printing political promotional signs, banners, shirts, etc in the Houston area? I have a friend from high school running for Houston city council. We would like to take care of his design and printing, but he says he is required to use a union printer. This was news to me.

njshorts

depends on the area, talk to his campaign manager- it's their responsibility to know the regulations.

if it has to be union, sub it out to a union-employed supplier.

James Burke

Being a grandpa is more fun than working

LarryB

Try Soileau printing in Beaumont, TX who can print the union bug. They screen print coro signs.

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
Create your own bug. I have one, the Brotherhood of Independent Signwriters. I am its only member. A friend has something similar, he's the only member. It will satisfy any requirement for work to feature a union bug.

Farmboy

Bob, nice solution. Do you think the steel workers would go for that? The pres. of the local was asking if I could print shirts for them with the steel workers insignia on them. A quick e-mail to the union confirmed that I need to be in a union to have permission to print their logo.

gnemmas

I doubt it is required by law. More that likely that the candidate or staff decided to cater to union for their vote or money.

James Burke

Being a grandpa is more fun than working
I doubt it is required by law. More that likely that the candidate or staff decided to cater to union for their vote or money.

Big ditto. From what I've read, unions usually tend to support the Democrats and the union logo shows the candidate's acknowledgement of their (union) support.

JB

CanuckSigns

i've never seen a unionized sign shop, at least not a small local operation. so it's either support unions, or support your local businesses, can't have both!

Bill Modzel

We've been screen printing political signs for over 30 years now. 15 or so years ago the local Democrats would head to a large union shop in Detroit but it's not as bad now, at least for the smaller local campaigns.

There is a union offset print shop about 30 miles away that jobs their screen printing out to us and use their bug but only for their jobs.

TyrantDesigner

Art! Hot and fresh.
i've never seen a unionized sign shop, at least not a small local operation. so it's either support unions, or support your local businesses, can't have both!

Depends on the union. A business union of affiliated businesses can get together to set pricing for an area ... sort of a non-compete sort of thing where they won't lower pricing to rock bottom pricing as well as to help negotiate local legislation in that industry. Also even small shops can be unionized where workers form a union to hold their employer to a higher standard of treatment and pay and all it really does is prevent owners to randomly lower and raise wages/benefits/quality of employment. Generally contracted work is unionized in some way just for that fashion since it makes contract negotiation faster to deal with a rep than individual employees. Not all unions are bad for business.

theskipman_98

Depends on the union. A business union of affiliated businesses can get together to set pricing for an area ... sort of a non-compete sort of thing where they won't lower pricing to rock bottom pricing as well as to help negotiate local legislation in that industry.

Just out of curiosity, or maybe I'm not understanding, isn't that against several federal laws?

ChicagoGraphics

You can get away with printing the union bug on the signs yourself. I have done 1000s of political signs like that in the pass. Just make sure you get your money up front.