• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Union sign shops? Strikes?

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
Me being in the south, we don't have unions here... But I've heard of "Union Shops". What is a union shop? Is it a small sign shop who's employees formed a union? Do they or would they strike like GM? Whats the difference in a union shop VS regular shop? Aren't union shops at a disadvantage?

bannertime

I think there is a print workers union. I've done something for a member that was running for a union position. Had to put his print union bug on it. Was really an odd situation. I don't think a smaller shop could union-ize. I don't know if they could join a larger group? People at 4over could probably form a union.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Just start a new one, but in a category where others can participate. Don't wanna let anyone out....................

This one will just fizzle out......................... :sleepin:

dburner

My shop is a union shop. We are members of IUPAT - the International Union of Painters & Allied Trades, otherwise known as the painters’ union. It’s the most common union for sign shops.

Because we are a union shop, we get a fair amount of political work in addition to the other kinds of work we do. On net, being a union shop is a win for the business.

And: a shop doesn’t have to be huge to unionize. We had, I think, 5 or 6 people when we joined the union; that’s not uncommon for IUPAT.

Andy D

I worked at shop where the owner couldn't get his signs install up north because we were not Union & he went out and shopped for the Union that best fit his needs and made it a Union shop, all so he could put a "Union Made" sticker on his signs.. It was United Electrical workers.

Reveal1

No union shops here but many print-related shops in nearby St. Louis. Or I should say there were many as those seem to be the shops closing right and left. Growing up, my father was a shop steward with the Teamsters, and I can remember his rantings against 'the company' as if it were the enemy. All while we enjoyed the Teamster country club, Teamster medical clinic etc funded by the enemy, that is until the company moved the jobs to a non-union area in a failed effort to stay competitive with Asian competitors. A Union friend (now out of a job) who growing up was on the surface seemed the most right-wing guy I knew, voted Obama twice; when I asked why he unabashedly said 'because my union told me to' - a direct quote.

fresh

is this a stupid question... can an owner of the shop join a union? Like, aren't I the "man" the union is trying keep in line?

Reveal1

is this a stupid question... can an owner of the shop join a union? Like, aren't I the "man" the union is trying keep in line?
Could be wrong, but I believe the answer is 'yes' because several construction contractors with employees I know are union so they can get government jobs.

bannertime

I've wondered the same thing. I'm assuming it means that the business is willing to accept union workers and everything that may be involved. I can't imagine they'd tell the owner that he couldn't unionize his shop.