Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Union sign shops? Strikes?

Discussion in 'Business Management' started by Texas_Signmaker, Sep 18, 2019.

1. Texas_Signmaker

Texas_Signmaker Very Active Signmaker

Oct 21, 2016
    Frisco, TX
    Me being in the south, we don't have unions here... But I've heard of "Union Shops". What is a union shop? Is it a small sign shop who's employees formed a union? Do they or would they strike like GM? Whats the difference in a union shop VS regular shop? Aren't union shops at a disadvantage?

Tags:
  2. bannertime

bannertime "You guys do banners, right?"

Sep 8, 2016
    Arlington, TX
    I think there is a print workers union. I've done something for a member that was running for a union position. Had to put his print union bug on it. Was really an odd situation. I don't think a smaller shop could union-ize. I don't know if they could join a larger group? People at 4over could probably form a union.

3. Texas_Signmaker

Texas_Signmaker Very Active Signmaker

Oct 21, 2016
    Frisco, TX
    OK, I don't know how to move this thread...or even if I'm allowed to... Could someone move it to a regular thing?

4. Gino

Gino Premium Subscriber

Jun 7, 2006
    PA
    Just start a new one, but in a category where others can participate. Don't wanna let anyone out....................

This one will just fizzle out......................... :sleepin:

5. dburner

dburner New Member

Dec 30, 2017
    Washington
    My shop is a union shop. We are members of IUPAT - the International Union of Painters & Allied Trades, otherwise known as the painters’ union. It’s the most common union for sign shops.

Because we are a union shop, we get a fair amount of political work in addition to the other kinds of work we do. On net, being a union shop is a win for the business.

And: a shop doesn’t have to be huge to unionize. We had, I think, 5 or 6 people when we joined the union; that’s not uncommon for IUPAT.

6. Andy D

Andy D Very Active Member

Oct 20, 2014
    Hattiesburg, MS
    I worked at shop where the owner couldn't get his signs install up north because we were not Union & he went out and shopped for the Union that best fit his needs and made it a Union shop, all so he could put a "Union Made" sticker on his signs.. It was United Electrical workers.

7. ddarlak

ddarlak Trump Hater

LOL, coming from a union guy

There is a reason why 99% of shops in the US are not union, couldn't support the wages

8. Reveal1

Reveal1 Member

Nov 7, 2010
    Cape Girardeau, MO
    No union shops here but many print-related shops in nearby St. Louis. Or I should say there were many as those seem to be the shops closing right and left. Growing up, my father was a shop steward with the Teamsters, and I can remember his rantings against 'the company' as if it were the enemy. All while we enjoyed the Teamster country club, Teamster medical clinic etc funded by the enemy, that is until the company moved the jobs to a non-union area in a failed effort to stay competitive with Asian competitors. A Union friend (now out of a job) who growing up was on the surface seemed the most right-wing guy I knew, voted Obama twice; when I asked why he unabashedly said 'because my union told me to' - a direct quote.

9. fresh

fresh Very Active Member

May 16, 2011
    nj
    is this a stupid question... can an owner of the shop join a union? Like, aren't I the "man" the union is trying keep in line?

10. Reveal1

Reveal1 Member

Nov 7, 2010
    Cape Girardeau, MO
    Could be wrong, but I believe the answer is 'yes' because several construction contractors with employees I know are union so they can get government jobs.

11. bannertime

bannertime "You guys do banners, right?"

Sep 8, 2016
    Arlington, TX
    I've wondered the same thing. I'm assuming it means that the business is willing to accept union workers and everything that may be involved. I can't imagine they'd tell the owner that he couldn't unionize his shop.