Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need Help Suggestions Question Unique Vinyl Project - Glow In The Dark

Discussion in 'General Signmaking Topics' started by Jayefkay531, Feb 17, 2020.

1. Jayefkay531

Jayefkay531 Member

May 10, 2017
    CT
    Hey All!

I have a regular customer that came with a different project of sorts. It's vinyl lettering for the back windshield of a car. The trick is that some letters will be glow in the dark, and others are not. Besides cutting white vinyl and glow in the dark vinyl, is there another way to produce this, or does anybody know a vendor that can replicate this? They're looking for one sample currently and, with approval, going to 1000 units.

Check the images to get a better idea of what I'm looking for.

Cheers!

Attached Files:

Tags:
  2. Gino

Gino Premium Subscriber

Jun 7, 2006
    PA
    Are they from Nigeria and have a church ??

• Hilarious! Hilarious! x 2
  3. Jayefkay531

Jayefkay531 Member

May 10, 2017
    CT
    Haha no - they're a regular customer that I know personally. I do a ton of cut vinyl for them, they're just looking to spice up one project for one of their clients.

No funny business going on here - they're not sure if it's possible and I told him it might not be cost effective, but it can be done.

4. StarSign

StarSign Active Member

Sep 20, 2011
    Southern Utah
    I would wonder if the letters would really "glow" at night. Unless you are in a very rural area I would think it really wouldn't be dark enough with all of the surrounding ambient light to give a true glow in the dark effect. Also don't most glow in the dark vinyls only last about an hour?

• Like Like x 1
  5. Jayefkay531

Jayefkay531 Member

May 10, 2017
    CT
    I fully agree (athough I was looking at the RTape VinylFEx that says a few hours glow). I had tried to talk him into going with reflective to make it pop when lights hit it right. Between ambient lighting and going on the back of a car windshield, there's going to be lights on it most of the time to negate the GITD effects. They're insisting on a sample though.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. 2B

2B Very Active Member

May 5, 2011
    TX
    reflective

anything that "glows" has to be charged with light before it will work.
    the life expectancy is also short for this type of material.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  7. unclebun

unclebun Very Active Member

Yeah, I think what they really want is reflective. If they are meant for car windows, there will always be headlights on at night.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Billct2

Billct2 Major Contributor

Mar 12, 2005
    New England
    I agree, reflective would be way simpler and effective.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Jayefkay531

Jayefkay531 Member

May 10, 2017
    CT
    I fully agree with everyone here. I'm not going to even entertain GITD anymore and just point him to reflective. Thanks all!

10. Andy D

Andy D Very Active Member

Oct 20, 2014
    Hattiesburg, MS
    Plus one for reflective, customers use some strange vernacular for signs and graphics, you have to "listen between the words".
    Last month I had a lady that wanted "a stone display in their showroom wrapped with metal letters"
    Turns out, they were going to have a granite slab in their showroom and the boss wanted to put their logo on it, using plotted metallic copper vinyl.

11. iPrintStuff

iPrintStuff Prints stuff

Sep 3, 2018
    United Kingdom
    Reflective is the much better choice but GITD is worth every penny for that 10 mins that it actually glows how you want it to.

12. Jayefkay531

Jayefkay531 Member

May 10, 2017
    CT
    100% read between the lines. I tried to educate them on the difference between reflective and GITD, they still said GITD. But i'm going to push hard towards reflective. Thanks!

• Like Like x 1
  13. unclebun

unclebun Very Active Member

If the photo is what they want it to look like, then reflective is the answer. Glow in the dark vinyl does not look like that. You will hardly be able to even see it in a totally dark room. And it only lasts a very short time.

Unfortunately, you may have to get a sample of the glow in the dark vinyl to prove it to them by comparing reflective vs. glow in the dark.

14. jfiscus

jfiscus Map Wraster

Apr 2, 2009
    Cincinnati, OH
    We use Gerber GITD vinyl. With it priced as it is, I would do this all as laid up vinyl. More labor, but dang that vinyl is expensive.

15. RICHARD SIMMONS

RICHARD SIMMONS Member

Jul 12, 2019
    Panama city, Panama
    In any case, does anyone know how long GITD vinyl lasts outdoors? I'll prefer reflective

16. Jayefkay531

Jayefkay531 Member

May 10, 2017
    CT
    Reflective is definitely the preferred method. GlowEFX says there's an hour glow. Orajet has a glow in the dark that is listed as just "strong and long lasting afterglow". I don't think there's a long timeframe for any glow in the dark.

17. Gino

Gino Premium Subscriber

Jun 7, 2006
    PA
    If you know them personally, I would imagine you should be able to talk sense into their heads. However, you mentioned it's for one of THEIR clients, so you're kinda far down on the totem pole.

The picture you posted above is completely computerly manufactured and does not really show how the Glow-in-the-Dark vinyl will really appear. Perhaps giving them a sample of both would solve all of your problems of having anything bounce back on your plate..... and of course, the samples would be at their expense, since they aren't listening to reason or common sense.

Many projects/requests have passed my desk over the years and I would say about all of them are reasonable, but those that go wa-a-a-ay outside the box, need to be addressed. Those type(s) will require some extra attention, will/should hafta pay for that special attention.​

18. fresh

fresh Very Active Member

May 16, 2011
    nj
    like others have said, i'd use white reflective for the YOLO part, and black reflective for the rest of the text. We've done a bunch of "ghost" decals with black reflective on black windows. It looks pretty cool.
    At night, the entire thing will reflect white.

• Informative Informative x 1