• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

University changes font in e-mails to save $

performancev

This is an interesting story that i thought others here might like to see.

Associated press
GREEN BAY, Wis. — A Wisconsin college has found a new way to cut costs with e-mail - by changing the font.
The University of Wisconsin-Green Bay has switched the default font on its e-mail system from Arial to Century Gothic. It says that while the change sounds minor, it will save money on ink when students print e-mails in the new font.
Diane Blohowiak is the school's director of computing. She says the new font uses about 30 percent less ink than the previous one.
That could add up to real savings, since the cost of printer ink works out to about $10,000 per gallon.
Blohowiak says the decision is part of the school's five-year plan to go green. She tells Wisconsin Public Radio it's great that a change that's eco-friendly also saves money.
Information from: Wisconsin Public Radio, http://www.wpr.org

signmeup

I wonder how much they could save if they went from 8 point to 7 point?
I also wonder how many pages I could get out of a gallon of ink.

HaroldDesign

That should really help the kids save money. There is no way in hell anyone is going to look at their bank account at any time and say, "Wow! since they changed that font, I have $5 more in my bank account than I would have". Savings don't mean anything if they can not be realized.

J Hill Designs

I would think that they are concerned about the tech labs where students are free to print...but I would also think they are all laser and not inkjet...

jiarby

change the default font color to white.
That will save some ink too

Also fun to do to your boss's MS Office!