• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Unlaminated Silk Screen vs Unlaminated Latex Decals

daenterpri

Will an unlaminated latex printed decal last just as long as a silk screened unlaminated decal? I've seen silk screened decals get worn out, and it seems almost faster than a latex printed decal would since the ink sits on top of the decal with screen printed and the ink is burned into the vinyl with latex, am I right?

Let me know what you guys think.

Christian @ 2CT Media

The latex ink polymer sits on the surface of the vinyl, solvent technology burns the ink in to the surface.

With that said we've had unlaminated banners last 3 years with the ink looking good until the material fell apart.

daenterpri

The latex ink polymer sits on the surface of the vinyl, solvent technology burns the ink in to the surface.

With that said we've had unlaminated banners last 3 years with the ink looking good until the material fell apart.

So, Latex printed banners lasting 3 years? Or EcoSolvent?

So let me rephrase the question: If you had a screen printed decal and a latex printed decal, which would last the longest? Do you think they would both last just as long as the media as far as print quality?

Thanks!

SightLine

║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█
I thought it was the other way around. Silk screen inks are generally much like solvent inks and because of the solvent the inks truly embed into the vinyl and I was under the impression latex inks sit on top of the vinyl using a heat activated adhesive property of the ink.

As far as longevity - it think the specific screen inks will play a big role as there are many types of inks for screen printing. I'd think the screen could also screen on a clear UV as well at very little extra cost versus film laminates.

Christian @ 2CT Media

Latex printed.

I think screen printed is more durable but vibrancy vs latex seems equal in longevity, the material will be a limitation to longevity.

Turnergraphics

screened decals versus latex

Screening Nazdar 9700 solvent ink (you will need retarder) and Screening Nazdar 3600 UV ink will both be more vibrant and outlast an unlaminated digital print by at least double. That's my experience. It could be the vinyl material that you saw deteriorating because vinyl material comes in various outdoor durabilties.

Richard

player

When we screen printed decals, we made some small decals with our logo to put on signs we made. I saw a sign at least 15 years old and the decal was perfect.

daenterpri

9700 nazdar ink, +1, they will last a long time.*

Is that most likely what http://teccolorcraft.com/ uses? We have some customers using them. They are single color and feel quite flimsy... I'm just trying to figure out if we can realistically compete with them for small decals if they are purchasing silk screened, unlaminated. Especially on a product that is probably only expected to last 2-3 years anyways?

daenterpri

Because I have seen unlaminated screen printed decals from Tec Color Craft wear pretty poorly in the past. I would almost expect my latex printed decals to wear better?

player

If a 10 year cast vinyl is screen printed with that deadly vinyl ink, it will last a very very long time.