• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Unruly Kids

SignStudent

I cringe nearly every time a customer comes in with their kids, knowing that 90% of the time the parent will not keep an eye on their kids. I'm almost to the point of making a separate play area for kids but I'd rather keep the space to myself.

I have a knack for putting things in the worst way and offending people when I don't mean to so I usually don't say anything. And when I do it seems like it only fixes the problem for a minute or so and they forget. How do you all handle this situation?

tintguy31794

lol I tend to stare at their children even while they are in front of me talking (of course some kids just need something to entertain them.. If they seemed like O.k., but bored kids sometimes I roll a car towards them so they can roll it around on the floor and then continue talking to the parent.

Jillbeans

The kids are alright (quote from The Who)
it's usually the parents I'd like to kill.
In 26 years I've never had a bad kid here.
Now I know tomorrow a kid with three 6s on his forehead will show up.
Love....Jill

threeputt

The kids are alright (quote from The Who)
it's usually the parents I'd like to kill.
In 26 years I've never had a bad kid here.
Now I know tomorrow a kid with three 6s on his forehead will show up.
Love....Jill

That may be alright for some shops, but I simply cannot do business like that. We have a very beautiful showroom with lots of glass displays and lot of things for kids to get into. There's no way, they can be unsupervised during the sales interview.

Quite often we have all four of us at the two counters doing business and it's hard to hear and keep everything straight. We don't need kids runnin g around, interupting us, and picking up (and maybe breaking) displays.

We're a very busy shop and people pour in the door all day, every day.

I personally hate it when Papa Bear and Mama Bear think it's cool to bring the whole family to the sign shop. Shows ignorance, and disrespect on their part, IMO.

Now I know I'll get the hate from others. Yeah, yeah I know, how's mommy going to lock lil' Johnny in the car while she does business with us. Can't be done. Blah, blah, blah.

And I definetly won't be putting a kid's area in my showroom for them to play. Uh uh, ain't gonna do it.

There's some things that don't warrant having family along. ie: Would you take your kids to a real estate closing?

Letterbox Mike

That may be alright for some shops, but I simply cannot do business like that. We have a very beautiful showroom with lots of glass displays and lot of things for kids to get into. There's no way, they can be unsupervised during the sales interview.

Quite often we have all four of us at the two counters doing business and it's hard to hear and keep everything straight. We don't need kids runnin g around, interupting us, and picking up (and maybe breaking) displays.

We're a very busy shop and people pour in the door all day, every day.

I personally hate it when Papa Bear and Mama Bear think it's cool to bring the whole family to the sign shop. Shows ignorance, and disrespect on their part, IMO.

Now I know I'll get the hate from others. Yeah, yeah I know, how's mommy going to lock lil' Johnny in the car while she does business with us. Can't be done. Blah, blah, blah.

And I definetly won't be putting a kid's area in my showroom for them to play. Uh uh, ain't gonna do it.

There's some things that don't warrant having family along. ie: Would you take your kids to a real estate closing?

:goodpost:

Si Allen

Hang up something like this:

Attachments

• loose kids.jpg
    loose kids.jpg
    82.1 KB · Views: 64

MikeSTK

Dawns Vinyl Designs
Kids only seem to get worse every year. AND the parents seem more uncaring what they get into.

Touchy subject. You are right, how do you address it?

I take it on a person to person basis. First I address the child directly but carefully. If it gets bad I will stop and address the parent explaining the child could get hurt. The showroom is not a daycare and not built with kids' safety in mind. Usually that embarasses them enough to rein the child in.

GOD forbid you offered a lollipop, although the toy thing never really crossed my mind. Might keep something behind the counter for the right situation.

Coloring books maybe? Or throw them a scrap vinyl box to pick something out to take with them?