• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

unsolicited sales calls...does anyone actually buy from them?

J

john1

Yeah i dislike getting these calls, I NEVER buy anything from anyone calling me when i didn't ask them to call me.

If i need someone, I research the best way to get it and go from there. I don't wait for a random place to call me trying to sell me something i didn't ask for directly.

Makes me re-think my email marketing i been doing now i think about it but at least that, the potential customer can review it on their own time and not be interrupted.

AUTO-FX

I like email marketing. A well laid out email with attractive graphics and clearly stated pricing seems best. It is something that can be reviewed as time permits, and provides contact info that is easily archived. And there is minimal intrusion.

iSign

Yeah i dislike getting these calls, I NEVER buy anything from anyone calling me when i didn't ask them to call me.

If i need someone, I research the best way to get it and go from there. I don't wait for a random place to call me trying to sell me something i didn't ask for directly.

I agree wholeheartedly!

Makes me re-think my email marketing i been doing now i think about it but at least that, the potential customer can review it on their own time and not be interrupted.

wait... you're on to something there!! don't back peddle now... you KNOW it's not good.. you just saw that... trust your instincts...

study permission marketing, and you will know you don't want to email anyone who will curse your company when it arrives...

Hero Signs

If they let me make it, they will come
I have cold called for my living. Retail is not what makes the world turn. All big companies cold call each other at some point. Being a small company you are just subject to every merchant service, phone, internet, power, cologne salesman out there.

MichaelAlmand

I find it interesting that people in a business to business enterprise. Don't want people cold calling them.

As a salesperson cold calling is one of the most tried and true tactics to make an initial contact. How else will you introduce yourself to many businesses efficiently??

I also wonder how many of you are confused and are mixing up cold calls with solicitation calls. There is a big difference between the two.

Whats the difference? Just asking thinking about cold calling but dont know what to say or whom to talk to

Custom_Grafx

Out of everything available now, I don't mind twitter. A supplier "follows" me. I "follow" them back. That way, when I open up my twitter account, I see their crap come up... see how I go for a few days... if I feel I like them and don't mind their 'crap' that much... I leave it as is, and bang, they're advertising to me for free, and when I see something I like, I might very well buy from them. If after a few days I see that their tweets are rubbish, I just block them.

So far, twitter has been the most painless advertising medium I have been subjected to. The most painful, by far, is the cold call. ESPECIALLY scripted ones!

This is a nice great thread that i am going to subscribe. As a salesperson, like most, it is a requirement to make cold calls. I don't think any person like to make a cold call.

As buyers, in what way would you prefer to be contacted? Phone, email, not at all? What would make you continue to listen or give said person a chance at gaining some of your business?

In what way do you find new suppliers or products? Research on your own and call? Word of mouth? Trade show?

Thanks in advance for everyone's opinions. And all apologies if this has already turned into a cold call! :thankyou:

Locals Find!

Whats the difference? Just asking thinking about cold calling but dont know what to say or whom to talk to

A solicitation call is trying to sell someone something over the phone. Like credit card service, long distance, toner etc.... a cold call is all about introducing yourself and getting permission to meet with someone in person or via phone. Its simply making an initial introductory contact. Very much like a handshake at a networking event.

I usually try to get an owner or manager on the phone (if they aren't available get their name and best time to reach them) and politely introduce myself and what I do. Then I see if it would be possible for me to come by and speak with them in person for 10 minutes (this part is key - don't take up their whole day bring a watch or timer for yourself) that way I can quickly show them some samples of what I do and explain to them quickly what I could potentially do for them. If they show some interest I can:

A. extend the meeting right then (if they want)
B. setup up a better time to come back and have a more in depth discussion about their needs.
C. Gather information and email them some quotes on specific products they are interested in.

Don't take up huge amounts of their time on the phone keep it short sweet and too the point. You want to come talk to them face to face or setup another phone meeting. Don't try to SELL ANYTHING on the phone at all. Unless they specifically ask you to quote something then you bring up product. You let them open that door.

I personally hate it when people just pop in my door to talk to me. I don't have time for that nonsense you wanna make an appointment or call me for one thats great. If you just barge in my door I will throw you out physically if necessary.

Just remember don't read a script. Write one out for guidance only. I make mine more of an outline of points I wanna touch on. Practice your calls first, keep your introduction at 45 seconds or less. Whole phone call shouldn't exceed 2 minutes. If your put on hold more than 45 seconds hang up and move on.

2B

when getting these calls, the ones that get a chance to make their sales pitch are the ones who start off by saying.

Hello my name is XXXX I am calling from YYYY who offers, lists products/services, are you currently looking or have a need for anything mentioned?