• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Unwanted Masks

550rider

I have used Flexi for many years now and always say it is great for vinyl work. Using it for print work is another thing. Recently I have noticed every A.I. file I open has a mask on it. Even if it is simple vector art with no gradient or placed images. Any thought on how to get rid of the mask without changing the file?

gabagoo

Flexi can remove the masking, but after it is removed you get a big black box on the screen to delete. The issue I have with this is.."did something just disapear?" have even had multiple masks in files...sometime upwards of 15 or 20...at this point I call the customer and tell them to send me a flattened tiff and to hell with it.

mopar691

I have always had this problem too, yes sometimes the masks can be annoying but really have given me no problem as I just delete them as gabagoo does.

Chimuka

I use the select by attributes and check the mask selection , then un-mask them all at once. Then I switch to wireframe and select the masks by holding down the control key and grab them all at once and delete them. This even works fairly well when those pesky masked gradients are sent your way.

Gene@mpls

I use the select by attributes and check the mask selection , then un-mask them all at once. Then I switch to wireframe and select the masks by holding down the control key and grab them all at once and delete them. This even works fairly well when those pesky masked gradients are sent your way.

Which version do you have... I don't have a select by attributes? Gene

Chimuka

Hi Gene,

I have 8.6 pro. I use a shortcut key. When your display has a file open , I just push the "D" key down. No control or alt, just the d to bring up Select by attibutes.

Gene@mpls

Thank you Gents- that is in 7.6 also. I have had Flexi for 16 years and
still learning things it can do. I just hired a young man who is going to
school for multimedia and of course lovers AI. After a demo of what
a 8-10 year old copy of Flexi can do- better and faster- he was astounded.

thewood

This may work in some instances. But if a file contains a clipping mask around a gradient (which Flexi will parse as a million separate shapes), then you will have a mess on your hands with no polygon left with which to re-mask the offending gradient.

The masks can be frustrating at times, but that is how Flexi parses Illustrator files. It is superior to the manner in which Illustrator parses native Flexi files.:thumb:

Suz

I have used Flexi for many years now and always say it is great for vinyl work. Using it for print work is another thing. Recently I have noticed every A.I. file I open has a mask on it. Even if it is simple vector art with no gradient or placed images. Any thought on how to get rid of the mask without changing the file?

LOL, thought you were talking about those Halloween masks that show up at your door. Warning, this should be happening a few hours from now, depending on the time zone. :)

Johnny Best

On 5th and Broadway in NYC there's a place that sells those masks you are looking for. Think it's called Maskarama.

rydods

Member for quite some time.
Anytime someone sends an EPS or AI file, I always open it first in Illustrator mainly just to see what it's supposed to look like. If flexi is being really stubborn, I'll export it out of Illustrator as a TIFF.