Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Unwanted Masks

Discussion in 'Flexi' started by 550rider, Oct 30, 2012.

1. 550rider

550rider New Member

Jun 1, 2009
    Lawrence, Ks
    I have used Flexi for many years now and always say it is great for vinyl work. Using it for print work is another thing. Recently I have noticed every A.I. file I open has a mask on it. Even if it is simple vector art with no gradient or placed images. Any thought on how to get rid of the mask without changing the file?

Tags:
  2. gabagoo

gabagoo Major Contributor

Oct 10, 2006
    Vaughan, Ontario
    Flexi can remove the masking, but after it is removed you get a big black box on the screen to delete. The issue I have with this is.."did something just disapear?" have even had multiple masks in files...sometime upwards of 15 or 20...at this point I call the customer and tell them to send me a flattened tiff and to hell with it.

3. mopar691

mopar691 Member

Sep 15, 2010
    I have always had this problem too, yes sometimes the masks can be annoying but really have given me no problem as I just delete them as gabagoo does.

4. 401Graphics

401Graphics Very Active Member

yea right click, uncompound or ungroup all, delete the mask. done.

5. GAC05

GAC05 Major Contributor

Dec 27, 2005
    Guam USA
    Find the Flexi install directory and delete it, done.....

wayne k
    guam usa

6. P Wagner

P Wagner Very Active Member

Aug 16, 2006
    San Diego

I see what you did there...

7. Chimuka

Chimuka Member

Sep 27, 2010
    Minnesota
    I use the select by attributes and check the mask selection , then un-mask them all at once. Then I switch to wireframe and select the masks by holding down the control key and grab them all at once and delete them. This even works fairly well when those pesky masked gradients are sent your way.

8. Gene@mpls

Gene@mpls Very Active Member

Jun 17, 2003
    Blaine, Mn
    Which version do you have... I don't have a select by attributes? Gene

9. Chimuka

Chimuka Member

Sep 27, 2010
    Minnesota
    Hi Gene,

I have 8.6 pro. I use a shortcut key. When your display has a file open , I just push the "D" key down. No control or alt, just the d to bring up Select by attibutes.

10. J Hill Designs

J Hill Designs Major Contributor

Sep 24, 2004
    In 8.1 its edit -> select -> select by attribute

11. Gene@mpls

Gene@mpls Very Active Member

Jun 17, 2003
    Blaine, Mn
    Thank you Gents- that is in 7.6 also. I have had Flexi for 16 years and
    still learning things it can do. I just hired a young man who is going to
    school for multimedia and of course lovers AI. After a demo of what
    a 8-10 year old copy of Flexi can do- better and faster- he was astounded.

12. thewood

thewood Very Active Member

Dec 28, 2005
    Tennessee
    This may work in some instances. But if a file contains a clipping mask around a gradient (which Flexi will parse as a million separate shapes), then you will have a mess on your hands with no polygon left with which to re-mask the offending gradient.

The masks can be frustrating at times, but that is how Flexi parses Illustrator files. It is superior to the manner in which Illustrator parses native Flexi files.:thumb:

13. Suz

Suz Very Active Member

Apr 9, 2010
    The Great Northwest
    LOL, thought you were talking about those Halloween masks that show up at your door. Warning, this should be happening a few hours from now, depending on the time zone. :)