• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need Help Updated to Windows 10 and not all my key commands work

Paul Cain

Had this laptop a few year works fine but I updated it to windows 10 and now I've lost some key commands...
(Adobe Illustrator) used to be able to use the hand tool with spacebar left click and drag finger across touch pad but it doesn't work anymore. Spacebar brings up the handtool, left click still works and the keypad still works but it doesn't work for me able to bring up handtool and maneuver around the artboard

WildWestDesigns

Do you have those keybindings set on another computer? If so, find the kys file with the appropriate name of what you called that custom setup and move a copy of that file to your other computer that is on Win 10. If it hasn't been saved, save a copy of it now and then move it over.

Outside that, have to reassign everything to how you liked it.

Yet another reason why I would never suggest an update from one OS version to the next. While they don't always happen to everyone, funky things can happen when doing something like this. If going to update to a newer OS on an older computer, best to just do a fresh install. Pull out all the preferences to necessary programs, deactivate those that need deactivating and then just wipe and install.

shoresigns

Do you have those keybindings set on another computer? If so, find the kys file with the appropriate name of what you called that custom setup and move a copy of that file to your other computer that is on Win 10. If it hasn't been saved, save a copy of it now and then move it over.

Illustrator's spacebar hand tool shortcut is not a custom key binding, and it's not changeable in the keyboard shortcut settings.

Paul, the first thing I would try is checking that you have all your Windows updates installed, and that you have all updates installed for Illustrator. This bug has come up for other people and there might be a fix for it in the updates.

The next thing I would check is to try disabling any security or antivirus software that might be interfering with your keyboard.

There have also been reports that Chrome can somehow interfere with the spacebar shortcut, and that closing Chrome while Illustrator is running solves it.

Last thing I would try is installing a previous CC version such as CC 2018 and seeing if it makes any difference. If all else fails, WildWest's suggestion of doing a fresh install of Windows 10 rather than upgrading might be a good idea. Upgrading your OS can often cause more problems than wiping everything and then installing the new OS.