Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Upgrade Suggestions?

Discussion in 'Graphtec' started by junaid, Apr 23, 2020.

1. junaid

junaid New Member

Nov 23, 2019
    Texas
    Hello all,

I am looking to upgrade from my Graphtec CE6000-60. I mainly cut MX decals up to 20 mil thick, but as low as 10 mil. Even with a 60 degree blade and max force, I feel that the cutter is operating at its limit.

I am also looking to move onto a 54" wide platform rather than printing everything in 24". My budget is around $5,000 and am looking to buy used. I'm looking mainly at the graphtec FC8600-130.

Any suggestions or feedback?

Tags:
  2. JBurton

JBurton Signtologist

Sep 28, 2017
    Arkansas
    I have an FC8600-130, upgraded from a CE3000-60 mk2, and then got a new FC8600-160 after we had a little fire in the print room. I'd sell off the 130 if I knew it worked well, but I've been keeping it for parts (I can't imagine anyone wanting a smoke damaged plotter, too many moving parts)
    But, I'd recommend the 160 over the 130. I was constantly complaining when the sales guys would want something printed and plotted just under 60" wide. Plus you get an extra pinch roller without adding one yourself. Otherwise they are the same machine as far as I could tell.

3. SignMeUpGraphics

SignMeUpGraphics Moderator

Apr 11, 2012
    Australia
    The FC8600 should work fine for your situation. We do MX decals once every couple of months on ours and never had any issues.

4. Ardor Creative

Ardor Creative New Member

Dec 17, 2019
    Worcester, MA
    I agree with the others, FC8600 is the best next step. l don't run enough plotted vinyl jobs to justify the FC8600 but it's the only machine I want to upgrade to. Plus the learning curve is basically zero, just better features like the cut-off knife. (yes the $4k more is worth it just for that.)

5. JBurton

JBurton Signtologist

Sep 28, 2017
    Arkansas
    I was going to dispute this, but honestly you are right. Our old CE had so many score marks across the front that it would hang up vinyl every once in a while, not to mention the countless sq/ft lost due to sloppy cuts or graphics that got shaved down over the years.
    Best part is, if you have 30 pieces of vinyl to cut and only want to mask them in batches, you can send all of the vinyl at once, even different layouts, with a cross cut between each piece, and when you come back you have a pile in the plotter 'trough.'

6. icedhot

icedhot New Member

Mar 11, 2016
    cal
    are you also looking at the fc9000 series? any thoughts between the two?