Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Upgrade to VS-540/VS-300 from Gerber Edge?

Discussion in 'Roland' started by Coban, Aug 21, 2012.

1. Coban

Coban New Member

Jun 26, 2012
    Hemet
    Well our Gerber Edge gave up the ghost and blew a pixel. Gerber said due to its age its UN-repairable. This leaves us with a mountain of Gerber foils and media but since I've been wanting to upgrade to large format feel it might be the right time to get a Roland VS series machine rather than buy another Edge.

We mainly print Motocross decals, and find most of our media is pretty thick (up to 20mil) and the coloring needs to match the OEM Manufacturer specs (Honda Red, Yamaha Blue, Kawi Green etc).

I have a few questions and maybe you guys can help:

Will I have trouble cutting the super thick prints?

Will I be able to get really bright Greens/Orange/Red?

Tags:
  2. FrankW

FrankW Active Member

Oct 19, 2008
    Switzerland
    Yes. The Cutter integrated into the Roland Hybrids are not the most powerful on the market. I would suggest to think about a separate cutting plotter for contour cuts.

No. You will never get a bright orange or green like one printed with an orange or green resin ribbon with a 4 Color-Inkjet-Printer. Thats why some fine art printers add separate color channels with orange and green inks.

3. CS-SignSupply-TT

CS-SignSupply-TT Very Active Member

May 31, 2011
    Coban, check out these Roland dealers in Salt lake City

http://rolanddga.com/dealers/Default.aspx

Regional Supply, LLC
    3571 S 300 W
    Salt Lake City, UT 84115
    Roger Ekblad
    Phone: 801-415-4210
    Fax: 801-261-5658

Midwest Sign & Screen Printing Supply Co
    1160 S Pioneer Rd Ste
    Salt Lake City, UT 84104-3743
    Tara Harris
    Phone: 800-497-6690
    Fax: 801-974-9442
    midwest@midwestsign.com
    http://www.midwestsign.com/index.asp

Please understand, you will NOT be able to produce the fluorescent colors with any of the solvent printers

4. Molenbeek

Molenbeek Merchant Member

May 1, 2007
    Nationwide
    I would upgrade to the Edge FX. You can get a $5,000 trade-in right now through us. You can also utilize all your existing foils through adapter kits and continue to get the same colors time after time. Gerber also just released new colors to match those

Electric Green (Kawasaki)
    Fireball Red (Honda)