• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

upgrading chip

wes70

Ok, as I mentioned in a previous post, I was thinking of upgrading my Amd Sempron single core to an Athlon x2 dual core processor.

Sorry for being such a novice, but what are my chances that I will have to change bios settings with this new chip? I have the mobo model number and info and I know how to get into bios, but that's about it. Should I attempt or leave it to a proffesional?

tcorn1965

Wes, Your BIOS will update automatically-IF-your motherboard supports a dual core processor. If it is compatible, switching out the processor is pretty straight forward. Although if at any time you feel uncomfortable during the process, just stop and take it to a shop.

Unplug PC and ground yourself (Touching a metal part of the inside case is sufficient)

There is a heatsink/Fan on top of the processor-This is usually removed with a screwdriver by pushing down and away on the slot sticking out.

Lift up lever to release the old processor, then lift out

Insert new processor-Look at the pins very careful, this can only go on only one way, although if your not careful those pins bend easily.

Push down lever to lock in

Clean old residue off of heatsink and apply some new thermal paste to the circle on processor

Put Heat Sink/fan back on the way it came off.
Plug it in and enjoy your new found speed!

Terry

wes70

Yeah, the physical changing of the processor is easy enough. I was just worried I had to make changes to the bios to recognize the new chip. I checked and double checked and the motherboard will accept the new chip.

By running CPU-Z, it shows me that I have a socket am2 940, which allows me upgrade to an Athlon X2 processor.

Thanks Terry!

Dice

It's generally always a good idea to check the latest firmware on your bios and motherboard drivers to make sure you have the latest.

Regardless if you have to it's something you should do.

Keith Rae

Go to motherboards web sight they should have a list of processors supported by that motherboard. And if a bios upgrade is needed to support certain CPU the bios version # should also be listed there. That being said a new mother board with chip or an hole new system isn't that expensive and you end up with a faster chip on a computer with faster ram, hard drive, video, Bus, and network speeds. A new operating system that takes advantage of the features of the mother board and CPU.