• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

upgrading mac G4?

supaegnt

i am about to install 200gb hd,is 10.4 OS okay w/o upgrading installation or what is the best performance OS w/o upgrading?

animenick65

I doubt there is any difference performance wise between 10.1-10.4. Your g4 should be able to handle OSX no problem. Maxing out your RAM will always help. Also, visit www.macsales.com and see what they have for processor upgrades. Those g4s are still really nice and they are powerhouses and can still take a lot of what you throw at em!

Bill Modzel

I have a G4/500 with a couple of gigs of ram. I must say that OS X was a bit of a dog with the 500 processor. I bought a 1.3 gig processor from OWC for $300 I thing and it made this baby preform like a new computer. Been running it for 2 years now.
A larger hard drive wouln't effect preformance, just give you more storage.

FatCat

You didn't say which g4 you had, but you may have an issue with that large of a hard drive. At least I should say you might not be able to see the full 200GB of storage. Older G4 systems only recognize 128GB no matter what operating system you are using. I think it was the last of the G4 Quicksilver line (867, 933 and dual 1.0ghz) that broke the 128gb barrier.

Aside from that, OS X.4 will be waaay faster than any previous OS. Unlike MS Windbloze - each update Apple has issued has made most machines faster from G3's on up. 10.2 was faster than 10.1, 10.3 was faster than 10.2...etc.

animenick65

BAD OP! Don't steer people towards evil windows!!!! Stay with the MAC! Thousands of design professionals do!!

Cool I have a G4 and the QS 867 and was wondering about the upgrade. I'm not ready to drop 3k on a new system yet but's it's on my to-do list.

FatCat

Cool I have a G4 and the QS 867 and was wondering about the upgrade. I'm not ready to drop 3k on a new system yet but's it's on my to-do list.

Yeah, there is really no harm in trying it - and I didn't want to scare anyone away from doing it. Your 867 should see it as long as you're running a version of OS X. If you're running OS 9 it will only see the 128GB regardless.

*As a 15 year mac and PC user I can say they both have their place. The mac is easier to use, more resistant to virus and spyware and Apple stands behind their products. PC's rule the business world - but then again we wouldn't need quite so many I.T. guys if they used macs. Job security I guess. :Big Laugh