• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

UPS for latex 260

juf1an

Hello
i bought a ups 6kva for my new printer latex,
and when the print begins to increase the temperature, the UPS displays the text "overload".
can everyone tell me that a ups 220v and 6kva can run the latex 260?

thks, (sorry for my english)

Laz0924

Look at the name plate on your printer it will tell you how many watts it consumes at max operating, you need to match the ups with at least that much wattage.
My printer is 1380 watts so my ups is rated at 1600 watts more than enough.It will only run at full load for maybe 6-8 minutes. before the battery runs out.

Laz0924

just checked hp specs with you can do your self latex 260 printing is 2.7 kw max is 4.8 kw which converts to 2700 & 4800 watts so your power supply needs to be more than 4800 watts.

SignMeUpGraphics

Super Active Member
4.8kW = 6kVA
You are right on the border of the UPS being acceptable for this.
I usually budget 20% extra just in case.

I would have gone for an 8kVA unit.

juf1an

just checked hp specs with you can do your self latex 260 printing is 2.7 kw max is 4.8 kw which converts to 2700 & 4800 watts so your power supply needs to be more than 4800 watts.
thks for the reply

my ups is 6kva 4,2kw,

SightLine

║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█
Also make sure not to mix up the battery capacity of a UPS with its volt/amperage (VA) capacity. Many small UPS's are advertised using their battery capacity which does not really give you its load carrying (VA) capacity. That being said it sounds like you are moving into the realm of commercial grade size units anyways which will likely more clearly indicate the units VA capacity. Also when selecting a UPS consider your incoming power quality. There are a few basic types of UPS systems. Single conversion, double conversion, and multi-mode or hybrid. Single conversion has 2 sub-types, standby and line-interactive and relies more on your utility power to be very clean and stable and switches to the inverter and battery power as needed with standby passing utility power directly through to equipment and line-interactive providing some filtering and conditioning of the power before passing it to the equipment. Then you get into the double conversion and hybrid systems which pass all utility power though the rectifiers (converting it to DC) then back through the inverter (converting it back to AC) and provide true isolation for the utility and the most stable, regulated, and filtered voltage/current. A multi-mode or hybrid setup balances this in the most efficient manner but they do cost more.

From an Eaton white paper on UPS systems
"Question number one is should you get a single-conversion, double-conversion or multi-mode UPS? The answer depends largely on how important energy efficiency is for your organization relative to protection.
Single-conversion UPSs are more efficient than double-conversion devices, but offer less protection. That makes them a good fit for loads with a higher tolerance for failure. More specifically, standby UPSs (the most basic type of single conversion UPS) are generally the best option for smaller applications, like desktop and point-of-sale solutions, while line-interactive UPSs are typically preferable for smaller server, storage and network applications located in facilities with access to relatively trouble-free AC utility power.
Double-conversion UPSs, which provide the highest levels of protection, are less efficient but are usually the standard choice for protecting mission-critical systems.
Multi-mode UPSs, although they may be more expensive than either single or double conversion systems, are the best choice for companies looking to achieve an optimal blend of both efficiency and protection."

We go a bit on the extreme side of things but we also have 2 different businesses we run and uptime of certain systems is somewhat critical. We had been using two older Liebert GXT2-6000 units which had the capacity we needed but they were about 8 years old and not terribly efficient and did not have quite the runtime we wanted for the load we were placing on them. They are still excellent units and we could still have easily found and added extended battery modules but I lucked out and ran across an auction of some federal surplus Eaton units that were never used (all were still brand new in the boxes). There were 3 larger 9130 (3000) rack mount units each with 4 extended battery units and one smaller 9130 1500 tower unit with 1 extended battery. What I paid was truly ridiculous :wink:. Anyways the Eaton units I got are online, line interactive, double conversion units and the larger rack mount ones are 240v only output. 240v is inherently more efficient and most everything we have is capable of 240v so in the process of upgrading to the Eaton units I changed everything I possibly could over to 240v. The one smaller Eaton is 120v and that one is dedicated to the few devices in the network closet the are only 120v capable like the cable and phone modems, and security camera power supply. Ultimately though I measured the two 240v lines for the old UPS's with a clamp meter at full load and we were using about 28A at 240v total before and now at full load are only using about 21A at full load so the power savings is significant.

If you are patient you can find larger high end UPS systems on eBay for literally pennies on the dollar..... also look at commercial business auctions and government auctions. All in all I got all of the Eaton units for right at a grand and the MSRP of them is over 25k. :omg: Gotta love government waste.... sometimes you can make it work in your favor and get some of your tax dollars back. :)

Anyways - I'm not sure of the stability or quality (or even the base voltage and configuration, do you have 3 phase power - if so that is another type of UPS possibility) of the power down there in Colombia but it never hurts to protect your equipment. Also have no idea what options you have for auctions, government surplus, ebay, etc. Obviously getting something from the US would be very expensive on shipping costs due to the sheet weight of the batteries in a UPS system. I'm sure there are local resources and options for you though.

juf1an

thxs for replys,
ok, then.... I have a Voltage conditioner 220v in 220 out frec 60hz and 6KVA, this is on a printer mimaki 3,2 mt solvent. Then I think that i can change de UPS and the Voltage conditioner, put the ups to Mimaki and Voltage conditioner to HP latex. What do you think about this?:rolleyes: