• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

UPS power?

wildside

after the day we have had with the ice storm here, and the power on and off all day i decided i finally should have bought one a long time ago:Oops: have had an inch of ice overnight, thats nothing to what i hear oklahoma got

i bought a cheap UPS at radio shack across the street, but i was wondering what everyone recommends for a good power backup,

as far as power consumption or needs, we have a mimaki jv3, cold laminator, network attached terrastation, ethernet switches and routers, 2 computers etc.....

if anyone has any advice or setups you would like to share

jiarby

I use APC 650's for the computers here just to protect against power blinks...not extended outages. I have one for the Mutoh 1604 also.

wildside

all the power the printer needs is basically for me to hit cancel and then shut it down safely not the abrupt printing and OFF!!!!!

jscarl

When I was traveling from show to show with my trailer, I had an APS 500. Several power outages, spikes, surges, almost an every day occurance. Loved that thing. Saved my dooper more than once. Had time to shut down correctly.

Bogie

Yeah, after this weekend, I'm going to go get one just for my Mutoh - The Epson works just fine on a smaller one, but with the heaters, I'm probably going to go 10-15 amps for the Mutoh's...

One thing to also look for is "equipment replacement insurance." These guys figure nobody's going to use it all that much, and you'll have to fight them over things, but hey...

msrobere

I have purchased an APC SMART-UPS 2200VA for my mutoh. Enough juice in it to power it with the heaters on a least for about 5 minutes. Spent about $350 on it refurb. with brand new batteries. But when I figure that you spend $20k on a printer you can at least spend some money on a decent battery back up. With being in the lighting capital of the world. I have ups on every piece of important equipment I have. I have 7 of them in the shop.