• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Upstart Info

greenhorn

I'm a newbie and looking for some upstart advice. From what I've read on these forums, being specific helps. So to be specific, I want to take the silhouette of an object (airplane, sports equip), apply 2-3 colors or base white, print and cut onto vinyl and/or 30mil magnets for exterior application onto vehicles, that would last 3-5ish years. From scratch, what would I need and what do you recommend to get started (printer/cutters, software, laminater, ink types, etc.) with this project. THX.

DRPSignsNGrafix

There are so many different option, Eco-sovent or full Sovent is the way to go Ink wise. With the laminates lifetime outdoors will be more than the 3-5 yrs your looking for. As for machine there are many options. One of the best options Money wise is the Mutoh Package. As for software depends, I use many different ones, depending on what i'm doing.

greenhorn

DRP-
THX for the info. Another question for you or anyone else who knows. Decals on the back window of vehicles with a sports ball and a kids name, what materials to include software are being used to make those?

harrisgraphix

DRP-
THX for the info. Another question for you or anyone else who knows. Decals on the back window of vehicles with a sports ball and a kids name, what materials to include software are being used to make those?

mostly a mid level vinyl, oracal 651.... you can buy a good amount of artwork pre-done if you dont have the ability to self create..

Ken

From what you described at first, it sounds like you need a plotter only, not a print/cut system. 3 to 5 year magnets only need intermediate vinyl. And lamination is then also not needed.
Most cutters come with some kind of basic design program, so you can get to work right off the bat. You may want to look at CorelDRAW, or Adobe Illustrator, FlexiSign(expensive) and there are others.
I've done OK with my cheap ( P-Cut) plotter but if I had the bucks when I started I see (in hindsight) that a Graphtec or Roland or Summa machine would have been the way to go.
Hope this helps...Ken

WOODBS

welcome from ocala...we do the bball decals with either 3651 or 3551 depending on who is installing. if customer, then 3551, so ther will be no bubbles. just my .02