Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

US Cutter Cutting plotter for Sansblast Resist

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Plotters' started by Sandblaster, Jan 21, 2010.

1. Sandblaster

Sandblaster New Member

Jan 21, 2010
    Hello Signs 101 (my first post),

I am looking in to buying a cheap cutting plotter that I can use to cut sandblast resist for the occasional sandblasted sign job that my uncle gets (a few a month). I am looking to get a US Cutter M series machine. I notice that the US Cutter plotters are not popular in this forum, but seem reasonably well accepted in the T-shirt forum (http://www.t-shirtforums.com).

Does a US Cutter M series machine sound like a reasonable choice for my situation? Would it be able to manage sandblast resist well enough?

Thanks
    Damian

Tags:
  2. Williams Signs

Williams Signs Member

Oct 5, 2007
    What size you looking for?

3. signmeup

signmeup Major Contributor

May 5, 2005
    Canada
    If you can find a pin feed plotter I think you will be happier. I use a Master plotter for cutting sand blast mask but it's a friction feed plotter. It can slip or the rubber mask squirms or something. It's not as accurate as I'd like. I think a pin feed plotter would work better. I'm going to add some more pinch rollers to my plotter to see if that will help. I don't think you'll have any problems with down force. I can cut right through the mask and backing paper. I run at about 300 grams of down force....can go to 500 grams.

4. zmatalucci

zmatalucci Premium Subscriber

please correct me if I'm wrong, but a tangential plotter is whats ideally needed for stencil resist. I have an allen datagraph 536 w/ both sprocket and friction fed contol measures.
    I cut stencil a lot with this machine with no problems, mind you it is a tangential machine

5. Sandblaster

Sandblaster New Member

Jan 21, 2010
    Thanks for the replies, the largest resist we use is 24" + backing. Pin feed and tangential both sound useful, I'll see what I can find.

6. Molenbeek

Molenbeek Member

May 1, 2007
    Nationwide
    best plotters to use for sandblast resist are the Gerber GS15+ or Gerber GS750+ plotter, 15" and 30" respectively. They are made for that application with a sprocket design and tangential 60 degree blade.

7. signmeup

signmeup Major Contributor

May 5, 2005
    Canada
    The Anagraph appears to have adjustable width sprockets and a friction feed option built in. Beats Gerber's design by a mile if it does.